LL-L "Etymology" 2004.05.27 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu May 27 14:54:57 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 27.MAY.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Frédéric Baert <baert_frederic at CARAMAIL.COM>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.05.24 (07) [E]

MArc and Luc wrote :

>Onderwerp: Etymology
>Van: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
>
>>   'Braaf': Well, the dictionary defenition reads, 'deugsaam', 'goed',
>> vatsoenlik; like 'thorough', 'good', or 'adorable'. on the other hand,
>> my
>> generation is more inclined to apply it in the context of
>> 'skyndapperheid'
>> or 'false moed' - 'braggadacio, you know? "Die skippertjie takel die
>> rotweiler ewe braaf - agter die heining!"
>>
>>     Regards,
>> Mark
>
>Hi Mark,
>This is the West-Flemish meaning of the word too !
>
>groetjes
>luc vanbrabant
>oekene

Hi to all,

This time I will speak for french language. My etymology dictionnary tells
that in french, "brave" comes from italian "bravo".
"brave" has two meanings in french as an adjective, depending of its
position in regard to the substantive.
"c'est un homme brave" means "it's a courageaous man"
but
"c'est un brave homme" means "it's a good/honnest man (hint : you can count
in him!)"
we can use it also in "c'est un brave !". Here you can have the two
meanings of the words (depending on the context) : "He's courageous"
or "He's good/honnest". In North of France the sentence is particularly in
use for meaning the second one but you can find this in french dictionnary.

Regards
Frederic Baert