LL-L "Delectables" 2004.11.01 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 1 18:18:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Delectables" 2004.10.31 (11) [E]

At 07:40 PM 10/31/04 -0800, Ron wrote:

>I personally know people who eat or used to eat the mentioned animals' meat
>as well as the meat of squirrels and muskrats.  It is part of their
>traditional diet, for whatever reason, usually having started out with
>abject poverty, such as in the Appalachian Mountains or among African
>slaves
>and their descendants.  The ancestors of the latter learned to develop
>diets
>created under unspeakable poverty and injustice into highly prized culinary
>art forms ("soul food") that utilize what used to be considered scraps or
>inedible matter by those better off.  Although I do not and did not seek
>out
>such meats, I can attest to the fact that soul food has a lot to offer,
>especially if it is part and parcel of the closeness and warmth of
>traditonal African American families.  I have experienced my prejudices
>melting away also when eating things I hadn't known were edible among
>Australian Aborigines, American Indians, Inuit and Mongols.  It's easy to
>overcome your fear of strange foods if the food is offered with honest
>hospitality and consumed with a sense of genuine communal belonging.  But
>that was in my traveling, meat-eating lifetime.
>
>I am getting to the point where it makes no difference to me if people eat
>the flesh of racoons, apes, cows, pigs or chickens.  I would never dream of
>preaching about it and making people feel bad about it (despite my jocular
>use of "animal corpse").  It is a personal choice, not one prescribed or
>dictated by dogma, by the way, just one to which my personal path happens
>be heading.  Thank Heaven for legumes and tofu!

Actually, I've eaten most of the above except for primates.  For three
years I lived "among" the blacks in Philadelphia, so ham hocks is nothing
new to me.  For many years our local MP was a black from Jamaica, also with
the last name of Alexander, and he used to refer to me as his blue-eyed
soul brother.  He went on to become the Lieutenant Governor of the
Province, and is probably one of the best loved politicians of the last
thirty years.

Also, my daughter is a Vegan, but the non preachy type also.  However, I
did ask her why they have a thing called Tofurkey?  I told her that would
be the day when the other side starts making hamburgers in the shape of
celery.

Ed

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Delectables

Ed,

Real vegetarians -- and bear in mind that many people call themselves
vegetarians while eating seafood and chicken, a total misnomer -- do not, as
a rule, approve of vegetarian foods offered as meat substitutes or as "mock
meat" (tofu, gluten, legume mash, etc.).  This is why my wife, who has been
a lacto-ovo vegetarian most of her life, does not frequent the usual Chinese
vegetarian restaurant unless there are other choices.  (Most Chinese
vegetarian dishes, often called "monks' food," are for non-vegetarians to
partake of on special Buddhist holidays, are made to make it easier for them
to go without meat.)  Most vegetarians choose to or are (by religon) not
allow to eat meat.  They do not need meat substitutes, actually mostly find
the very thought distasteful.