LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.11.01 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 1 21:57:25 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.11.01 (04) [E]

ill-ogic lately since I am ill,
and once in a while I tend to nag on about some not so important things.
_Doordrammen_ they call that over here.
Ingmar

> From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
> Subject: Language varieties
>
> Ingmar,
>
> Although one of the primary goals of this list is to bring related
> languages, cultures and people together, to facilitate learning about
one's
> own and related ones, to open minds and thus to help people see "the
bigger
> picture," there is no requirement to do so, no requirement to develop new
> interests, no requirement to open one's mind to things one chooses to
close
> one's mind to.  We have members with a great variety of interests, some of
> them with very general ones, others with very special and narrow ones.  It
> is their choice, and that's just fine as long as they do not impose their
> choices on others and thus compromise the List's basic scope and purposes.
>
> I personally find it impossible to etymologize without bringing English
and
> Scots, certainly Old English, into the equation.  I cannot even talk about
> Old Saxon without also referring to Old English.  But perhaps etymology is
> not your thing, just as you seem to have made up your mind that English
and
> Scots are not your thing.
>
> There is no prescription for members' ranges of interest.  The only
> prescription in this regard is to allow others to exercise their own
choices
> within the scope of the List.
>
> I am sure there are some people on our list who have "no time" for your
> personal hobby and passion, Middelsprake, or who do not go along with your
> personal belief that not Lowlands Saxon but Frisian (possibly including
Old

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language varieties

Hoi, Ingmar!

Thanks for responding.

I did not mean to come down on you, just meant to clarify what this list is
about and what our conventions are.  Just remember that we have a lot of
room to move, a lot of room and tolerance for individuality and
idiosyncracies, even within our relatively narrow scope.  Also please know
that there is room (with elbow room to spare) for you and that you are very
much welcome among us.  I hope that with time you will feel that you are
truly among friends, if not in some sort of quasi-family.

There are really, really nice people on this list.  Some of them have been
with us for many years, and a few since the very beginning.  Gary Taylor,
who responded to one of your postings in this thread, is just one example,
and a shining one, if I may add.  He wrote, among other things, ...

> But saying all this - I'm happy to have them all
> included on this list including Middelsprake

Gary is one of quite a few "vocal" members that best represent or personify
an attitude, an openness, a type of supportiveness and a type of
friendliness (even in disagreement) that I am proud we have cultivated
and/or preserved on Lowlands-L.

So, Ingmar, relax, make yourself at home and let the ride take you wherever
it takes you.

On behalf of the entire List, here are best wishes for your health!

With friendly regards,
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net