LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.01 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 2 01:10:19 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 01.NOV.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Personal comments

Ron you wrote

"Gary Taylor, who responded to one of your postings in this thread, is just
one example,
and a shining one, if I may add."

You've made me blush...

Gary

ps just looked up 'blush' in my 'Concise Dictionary of English Etymology'
(Oxford) it says:

"blush vb. OE blyscan, corr. to MLG bloschen, LG. blüsken; cf. (M)Du.
blôzen, OE âblysian." Is that enough proof that English belongs on the
list... ;)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

Hi, Gary!

> You've made me blush...

You can blush, but you can't hide (your light under a bushel).  Besides, I
tend to speak the truth (though I'm not claiming to be overly modest at this
very moment).  ;-)

> "blush vb. OE blyscan, corr. to MLG bloschen, LG. blüsken; cf. (M)Du.
> blôzen,
> OE âblysian." Is that enough proof that English belongs on the list... ;)

Masterfully quoted!  Let me add to that some more convincing information
from _The Oxford English Dictionary_ (the full online version):

<quote>
[Evidently related to a series of words found in Old Norse and Low German,
but not known in OHG. or Gothic, ...
</quote>

OHG = Old High German (i.e., Old German in my terminology)

<quote>

pointing back to a stem *_blū/ŭsi-_ from verbal root *_blū/ŭs-_ in sense of
‘burn, glow, be red’. Cf. OE. *_blysian_ in _ablisian_ to blush, _ablysung_,
_ablysƽung_ ‘redness of confusion, shame’, with MDu. _blōzen_, _blözen_
(from earlier _bleuzen_), Du. _blozen_ to blush, _blos_ (formerly _bleus_)
blush, MLG. _blosen_, _bloschen_; also OE. _blysa_ wk. masc., _blysiƽe_ wk.
fem., ON. _blys_ neut. ‘torch’ (Sw. _bloss_ torch, _blossa_ to blaze, Da.
_blus_ torch, _blusse_ to blaze, to blush), LG. _blüse_ flame, _blüsen_ to
set on fire, _bleusteren_ to inflame, glow, become red. The nearest
relatives of ME. _blusche_, _blosche_, _blysche_, are app. MLG. _bloschen_,
LG. _blüsken_ (Brem. Wb. I. 105): and its antecedent form is perhaps to be
found in OE. _blyscan_, _bliscan_ ‘rutilare’ (in the _Aldhelm_ Glosses, Mone
Q. und F. 355): but its comparatively late appearance in ME., apparently
first in the north, its various vowel-forms, and the doubtful relations of
the senses, esp. sense 2, all combine to leave the history of the word very
obscure. OE. _blyscan_, _bliscan_, has also been conjectured to be for
*_blicsian_, from root *_blik-_ to shine, in which case it would not be
related to the _blū/ŭsi-_ words, nor to ME. _blusche_. (The Da. deponent
_blues_ to blush, may also be compared.)]
</quote>

I'm adding the following:

Lowlands Saxon (Low German), North Saxon:

bloys' ~ blöys' ~ blüüs' ~ blüse (<Blooß> ~ <Bloos> ~ <Blöös> ~
   <Blüüs> ~ <Blüse>) 'torch', 'bright fire'

blaystern ~ blöystern ~ blüüstern (<bleistern> ~ <bleustern> ~
   <blüüstern>) 'to blaze'

blaysterig ~ blöysterig ~ blüüsterig (<bleisterig> ~ <bleusterig> ~
   <blüüsterig>) 'blazing', 'flaming', 'aflame', 'brightly shining'

(> Westerlauwer Frisian _bluisterich_ 'savage', 'brute', 'fierce'?)

English 'blaze' <

<quote>
[OE. _blase_, _blæse_, wk. fem., chiefly in sense of 'torch' (OTeut. type
*_blasôn-_)
</quote>

Not to forget Scots _bleeze_ ~ _bleze_ ~ _blaze_ '(to) blaze', 'torch'.

Add to that Westerlauwer Frisian _blies_ 'blaze'.

*_blik-_ > LS _bliks_, Dutch, W.Frisian _bliksem_, German _Blitz_
'lightning'?

So there!