LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.11.02 (04) [E/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 2 17:00:59 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Folks,

Here is the thing.  We need to come to an agreement how to refer to the Low
Franconian dialects of Germany (Northrhine-Westphalia) as a group or groups
or alternatively allocate them typologically to Low Franconian groups used
in Belgium and the Netherlands.  This is all the more urgent now that,
happily, Franz Firla has been representing the Mölm/Mühlheim dialect.

I have done a bit of research.  The upshot of it is that the Low Franconian
dialects of Germany (close to the Belgian and Netherlands borders, generally
lumped together with Lowlands Saxon under "Platt" in Germany) are generally
classified two dialect groups as follows:

* Limburgish-Bergish
      * Eastern Limburgish
         (Krefeld, Mönchengladbach, Viersen, Heinsberg, Mettmann,
         Northern Neuss district)
      * Bergish
         (Düsseldorf, Solingen, Remscheid, Mülheim an der Ruhr,
         Wuppertal)
* Southern Gelderland Low Franconian
      * Cleves-Wesel (Klevisch-Weselisch, a.k.a. Kleverländisch)

So, according to this model we are talking about German-administered
or -dominated "outposts" of two languages that are primarily used in the
Netherlands (though Limburgish also in Belgium).  This makes Franz's dialect
a part of Limburgish (hence my use of [L] for his posting today).  Are the
dialects of Southern Gelderland, Netherlands, considered parts of Dutch?

Anyway, what do you think about this?  I very much hope that Franz and his
dialect are just a beginning for Low Franconian of Germany on the List.  For
this reason we need to come to some sort of classification agreement.

Franz, übrigens wäre es sehr begrüßenswert, wenn Sie und/oder Ihre Bekannten
die Empfangsseite von Lowlands-L (http://www.lowlands-l.net) ins Mölmsche
übersetzen würden.  Auf diese Weise werden eventuell andere
Niederfränkischsprecher  und –interessierte in Deutschland „angelockt“.