LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.11.02 (06) [E/L]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 2 23:11:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.NOV.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Szelog, Mike <Mike.Szelog at citizensbank.com>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.11.02 (04) [E/German]

Looks great - nice to see how exactly the dialect of my "home away from
home", Viersen, is represented! I can only offer that people speaking the
Viersen dialect have no problem when going over the border to the
Netherlands and conversing with Dutch people using, for example, the dialect
of Venlo which, as I understand it, would be considered "Limburgish".

Mike S
Manchester, NH - USA

Ron wrote in part:

* Limburgish-Bergish
      * Eastern Limburgish
         (Krefeld, Mönchengladbach, Viersen, Heinsberg, Mettmann,
         Northern Neuss district)
      * Bergish
         (Düsseldorf, Solingen, Remscheid, Mülheim an der Ruhr,
         Wuppertal)
* Southern Gelderland Low Franconian
      * Cleves-Wesel (Klevisch-Weselisch, a.k.a. Kleverländisch)