LL-L "Phonology" 2004.11.02 (07) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 2 23:11:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.NOV.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Christian Chiarcos <chiarcos at ling.uni-potsdam.de>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.28 (04) [E]

Ingmar wrote:

> simply seems an adaption to the High German system of diphthongs.
> German has only au, ai, oi, so MittPomm must have replaced its original
> diphthongs for the German ones (Ingmar)

Well, this had been my first impression, too, though the dominating High
German variety for the last 150 years has been Berlinian resp. the
Berlin-influenced town dialect of Stettin.
Against Standard German, Berlinian keeps the difference between MHG _ai_ and
_î_ as _ee_ and _ei_ (possibly due to Upper Saxonian influence). So the
distribution of High German diphthongs and their Low German counterparts
differs in most cases.
BTW, in Western Pomeranian we find a similar shift from _öi_ to _oi_ <eu>
during the 19th c. Writing in the local dialect of Wolgast, Philipp Otto
Runge (1777 - 1810) wrote _Blöiten_, but _Freude_ in his _Machandelboom_
(http://www.fh-augsburg.de/~harsch/germanica/Chronologie/19Jh/Runge/run_boom
.html), keeping apart the MLG diphthong and monophthong. AFAIK, both are
merged in /O.I/ there today.

Ron wrote:

> I notice falling diphthongs of this sort, associated with stressed
> syllables, in several languages.  For instance, Russian primary-stressed
/o/
> tends to come out as [oa] (which is a case of unrounding, really), and in
> Swedish and some Norwegian dialects I hear long /e/ as [eV] or as [ea].
>
> I wonder if, phonetically speaking, this is a case of tension release
toward
> the end of a long, tense vowel.

Well, this explains /i.@/ fairly well, so this might be a phenomenon
differing from the other observations, however, we find this only in Slavic
place names with accent on the final -in, so, it is quite rare and rather
marked.

Roger wrote:

> In the work that I published  last year in September, "Woordenboek van het
> Melkwezers, een Getelands Dialect. Met taalkundig supplement", I
> investigated, among other aspects, De bewegingen van de West-Germaanse
lange
> vocalen en diftongen. I wrote: /..../Uit het bovenstaande overzicht komt
> duidelijk naar voren dat de Wgm. klanken in de loop van de tijd ingrijpend
> geëvolueerd zijn. Daarbij kunnen klanken uiteindelijk samenvallen.
> /...../Vooral bij de Wgm. lange vocalen en diftongen is de transformatie
> aanzienlijk. Toch is een zekere regelmaat te bespeuren in de verschuiving
> van de oude Wgm. vocalen en diftongen. Deze wijzigingen zijn niet aan het
> toeval gebonden. Het blijkt dat er in de taal een tendentie aanwezig is om
> de symmetrie in het fonologisch systeem in stand te houden.
> /.../
> Wanneer een klank in de richting van een andere verschuift, zal deze
> laatste, om de klankafstand te handhaven, wijken voor de eerste en zich
> ontwikkelen in de richting naar een derde klank toe, die op zijn beurt
> verder opgeduwd wordt. Daarbij stelt men bovendien een samenhang vast
tussen
> diftongering en monoftongering: vaak ziet men een monoftong evolueren tot
> een tweeklank en later weer uitmonden in een monoftong.
>
> Waarschijnlijk zijn de oude ogm. diftongen au en ai en de open lange
> monoftong â het eerst in beweging gekomen. Het articulatiepunt verschoof
> naar boven, d.w.z. de tong werd hoger gewelfd. Zo is de wgm. â
geëvolueerd
> tot de meer gesloten [�ù]. /....../
> I inserted a diagram  "Een overzicht van de verschuivingen van de Wgm.
> fonemen (diftongen en lange monoftongen"
>
> Opvallend is dat de meeste vocalen zich in het fonetisch spectrum tegen
het
> uurwerk in bewogen hebben. Enkel wgm. ai en ogm. ê2 evolueerden in
> tegenovergestelde richting. Men neemt aan dat wgm. î  en û  een parallelle
> ontwikkeling gevolgd hebben.Het gehele systeem was dus in beweging
gekomen,
> maar het fonologisch evenwicht was intact gebleven.
>
>  Enkel wgm. ai en ogm. ê2 evolueerden in tegenovergestelde richting. Men
> neemt aan dat wgm. î  en û  een parallelle ontwikkeling gevolgd hebben.Het
> gehele systeem was dus in beweging gekomen, maar het fonologisch evenwicht
> was intact gebleven.

Thank you very much. Unfortunately I'm not a fluent reader of Dutch, so I'm
not sure whether I interpret your explanations in the right way. You're
suggesting a push-chain explanation for the shift, starting from â being
raised, don't you ? Maybe you could post a link pointing to the figure you
tried to attach ?

My impression on vowel change due to pragmatic or prosodic differentiation -
if it was right -, would provide a third alternative besides push-chains and
drag-chains: _permanent_ synchronous co-existence of different realizations
before overgeneralization of one of the alternatives.

Regards and thanks for the replies,
Christian