LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.02 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 2 23:12:09 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.NOV.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: Etymology

Dear all,

In my hometown we don't have a very good idea about the meaning of the
name of it. The name is Rijssen in Dutch, but originally it was named
Rysen or Risen, of which I believe the former to be the youngest form.
Perhaps you people can help me with this etymological question.

I can think of 2 possibilities myself:

1. The name could be related to German "Riese" (giant), and therefore
the name could mean something like "home of the giants". My family's
nickname is "Van den Draod", because my family consists of mostly tall
people, and there are several other families with tall people, so I
consider that a possiblity. However, I'm not aware of a word like
"Riese" in any other Low Germanic language.

2. A couple days ago I learned about a German place named "Nordlinger
Ries", where "Ries" means crater, as the village is located in a large
meteor crater. My town is located in the Regge valley (as far as valleys
can exist in the Netherlands...), a river approximately marking the
border between Salland and Twente (North and South Overijssel), and
marking the western end of Westphalian dialects I believe). Does anyone
know about the etmology of the word "Ries" as far as the meaning of
crater, valley, etc. is concerned? Does anyone know any similar words in
other (Low Germanic) languages?

regards,
Henry

----------

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>

Dear all,

Sticking to the field of etmology, I'd like to inquire whether anyone
knows anything about the family name "Pijffers" (my last name). It is
higly probable that it was spelt Pyf(f)ers or Pyvers in earlier times,
or that originally it was at least pronounced with a vowel like the
Dutch and German ie. There are also families named "Pieffers", which I
believe to stem from the same family line. Both family names are
pronounced the same in our dialect by the way. Most families with a name
similar to Pijffers live in the eastern Netherlands, the highest
concentration of which in Rijssen, Twente.

regards,
Henry