LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.02 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 2 23:12:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.NOV.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.02 (05) [E]

Have a good election day, and vote for the right candidate!
In all the rest of the world, about three quarters of the people beg for a
wise choice this time...
 Good luck, Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

The deadline for voting for a story for our anniversary project has come and
gone.  So, here we go.

We had a stupendous, mindboggling turnout of 23 whopping votes!

* The North Wind
  and The Sun:     04

* The Wren:          19

So the wren is the winner.

However, I would be perfectly happy to consider the other story for later.

No comments accompanied the votes for the North Wind story.  Overall,
comments accompanying votes for the Wren story said that this story comes
with more to work with, is less "bland."  Well, personally I would like to
add that, being a children's story as well as one for adults, it comes with
the additional "cuteness" factor and may entice young people to becoming
exposed to linguistic matters.  For those of you who will contribute sound
files (and text files where these do not already exist), it gives you a
better opportunity to show off your acting talent by "making voices."  ;-)

You will find the raw material here:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/ls-story.html

I am about to add some more there, mostly with the help of Kenneth Rohde
Christiansen.  (Thanks, Kenneth!)  Please keep watching that space.

For our Lowlands-L anniversary project we will reformat it and display it
with maps and sound files at our LL-L site.  Versions in non-Lowlands
varieties are welcome, but as far as sound files are concerned, we'll first
see for how many sound files in Lowlands varieties we'll have room on the
server before we consider adding sound files in non-Lowlands varieties.

If you wish to contribute sound files -- and I hope that's many of you --
please make them authentically idiomatic, i.e., natural, for your respective
language varieties and send us the text versions as well.

Let me reiterate that we are not only looking for "exotic" dialects but for
*any* sort of dialect or sociolect that falls into the "Lowlands" category.
So, *any* dialect or "accent" of English, Scots, Dutch, Limburgish,
Zeelandic, Flemish, Lowlands Saxon (Low German), etc., is of interest, even
more than one of the same place.  So, if you think, "I've got no accent," we
will try to be gentle with you, will not smash your self-delusion, just as
long as you send us your sound files and (amended) text versions.

For now, please send sound and text files to me at <sassisch at yahoo.com>, and
I will send them on to Meister Mathieu (Mathieu van Woerkom, our webmaster
and cartographer).  However, since I do have a full plate and will have for
some time to come, I would really, really appreciate it if someone else
would take over from me as far as project coordination is concerned.

Also, we will need someone willing and able to convert cassette tape
recordings into electronic sound files and work closely with Mathieu and the
coordinator.  This person will need to make his or her mailing address known
to the people that contact him or her to allow them to send off the tapes.

Please write to me (sassisch at yahoo.com) if you wish to be the coordinator
and/or sound file producer.

Thanks for your support!  Let's show them what this list is made of on its
10th anniversary!

Regards,
Reinhard "Ron" F. Hahn
Founder & Administrator, Lowlands-L
lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
http://www.lowlands-l.net

P.S.:  I plan to produce files for the following: Hamburg Lowlands Saxon
(Low German), General North Saxon, and Hamburg Missingsch.  Again, it is
fine to have more than one version of each.