LL-L "Names" 2004.11.04 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 4 17:22:18 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.23 (01) [E]

I wonder if anyone out there can help me with a location on one of our
local Anglo-Saxon charters.

It is the name of a stream / brook                 Lagburn    Laggeburna

I found Lachbaum and Lachstein in Brockhaus meaning 'boundary tree' and
'boundary stone' and was wondering whether the meaning of our stream (
which actually does form part of the boundary) could be 'boundary stream' =
Lachborn

Does this exist as a place name in North Germany/ Lowland languages area ??

Heather

PS this bit of the stream actually comprises the main spring of the stream
and about 300 meters of stream itself.   Born = Quelle?????

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Names

Hi, Heather!

I'm not aware of a place called Lachborn in Northern Germany, but perhaps
other people are.

_Born_ does indeed mean '(well-)spring' in both German and Lowlands Saxon
(Low German), is archaic (in place of _Quelle_) in the former but not in the
latter.  Obviously, it is related to English "burn" (archaic "bourne") as
well as to Scots _burn_ 'burn', 'brook' (< Old English _burna_; cf. Old
Frisian _burna_), as well as to German _Brunnen_ and Dutch _bron_ 'well',
'source'.

You may be aware of this, but let me mention anyway that a Lachborn is
mentioned in the Early Middle English _Croxton Play of the Sacrament_
(1461?) (http://www.umm.maine.edu/faculty/necastro/drama/croxton.txt):

097  In Antyoche and in Almayn moch ys my myght,
098  In Braban [1] and in Brytayn I am full bold,
099  In Calabre and in Coleyn þer rynge I full ryght,
100  In Dordrede [2] and in Denmark be þe clyffys cold;
101  In Alysander I haue abundaw[n]se in the wyde world.
102  In France and in Farre fresshe be my flower[ys],
103  In Gyldre [3] and in Galys haue I bowght and sold,
104  In Hamborowhe [4] and in Holond [5] moch merchantdyse ys owrys;

105  In Jerusalem and in Jherico among the Jewes jentle,
106  Amo[n]g the Caldeys and Cattlyngys kend ys my komyng;
107  In Raynes and in Rome to Seynt Petyrs temple,
108  I am knowen certenly for bying and sellyng;

109  In Mayn and in Melan full mery haue I be;
110  Owt of Navern to Naples moch good ys þat I bryng;
111  In Pondere and in Portyngale moche ys my gle;
112  In Spayne and in Spruce moche ys my spedyng;
113  In Lombardy and in LACHBORN there ledde ys my lykyng;
114  In Taryse and in Turkey there told ys my tale;
115  And in þe dukedom of Oryon moche have I in weldyng:
116  And thus thorowght all þis world sett ys my sale.

Which one is it?

Incidental Lowlands-related observasions or guesses:
[1] Brabant
[2] Dordrecht?
[3] Gelderland?
[4] Hamborg/Hamburg
[5] Holland

What you said about _Lag(ge)-_ is very interesting.  I wasn't aware of this.
Thanks for sending me on a new discovery!  I would have assumed a connection
with words for 'lake', 'pond', etc. (Old Saxon _lagu_, also _lagustrôm_
'waterfloods'; cf. Old English _lacu_ > "lake," Modern German _Lache_, Latin
_lacus_, etc.).

Old Saxon has _lâk_ 'boundary sign', 'landmark', which corresponds to Old
German _lâh_ and (archaic?) Modern German _Lache_.

The only possible Modern (?) English cognate I can come up with is "lag"
'stave', 'lathe', apparently derived from Old Norse _lOgg_, related to
Indo-European *_leu-_ 'to cut', 'to carve', 'to separate', 'to divide'.