LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.04 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 4 20:57:57 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Holidays" [E]

> > From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
> > Subject: Anniversary
> >
> > Talking about "gothic," don't forget to write a brief anniversary blurb
> > (with picture?) as one of the main movers and shakers.  Yes, it's fine
> > write it in Scots (with an English translation), and, yes, it's fine to

Wait a minute! Did I get this completely wrong? Were you actually inviting
all members to submit a "blurb" about themselves for the website?

Or what?

I merely ask because it was so weird to wake up this morning and find a
posting from me that had even less than usual to do with the subject area of
the mailing list! Still, it was culture!

Things do seem to have gone a bit bonkers lately with me submitting BSL
stuff (though I do try to stick to cultural and language interfaces) and
other people suggesting adding Highland German as a main language for
discussion.

Unfortunately it seems as if there isn't much interest in discussing Scots
at an academic level any more. I tried to revive some interest by submitting
scanned articles from older collections but my first attempt got no response
so I'm not so sure about submitting more.

It is a bit of an irony on mailing lists that the more lengthy and complete
a submission is, the less likely it is to result in discussion, while a
simple question on a point of etymology can result in endless discussion -
and the more people are just guessing at it, the more discussion there is!
This has been discouraging contributions from me on Scots literature and
reminiscences for some time now, although I have quite a collection of
scraps of out-of-copyright articles on Scots and large numbers of poems by
minor poets writing in Scots.

Not sure what to do!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/