LL-L "Names" 2004.11.05 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 5 15:56:23 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.NOV.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: "Names"

I had a thought over night re Lagbourne / Lachborn.

Germanic 'g' is often changed into 'y' in English   sonnig > sunny etc

So I gooogled 'leybourne' and 'laybourne' and came up with a host of
surnames.

I then checked a couple of UK gazetteers for similar place ( village /
town)names and came up with nothing.

So the surname is not, it would seem, taken from a village or a town.

Which leads me to suspect that it is a landscape name such as my maternal
line Green    >> 'who lived by the Green'

What does anyone think?

Heather

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Heather,

> Which leads me to suspect that it is a landscape name such as my maternal
> line Green    >> 'who lived by the Green'

This makes sense to me.  A good lead!

Note also the spellings Layburn, Leyburn, Layborn, Leyborn, Layborne and
Leyborne for surnames.

Furthermore, there are two towns called Leyburn, one in England (on River
Ure, at the entrance to Wensleydale, North Yorkshire) and the other in
Australia (Southern Queensland, way inland, southwest of Toowoomba).

The interesting thing about the older surname forms Layborne and Leyborne,
appearing in old documents, is that they tend to be connected with Yorkshire
and, I suppose, with the town now spelled Leyburn.

In actual fact, Yorkshire's Leyborn used to be spelled <Layborne>, as seen
in old registers; e.g.,

<quote>
The earliest I’Anson entry in the registers of the parish of Wensley records
the marriage of William I’Anson with margaret Dent on 6th May, 1634. On the
death of his father, James I’Anson, in 1625, Leonard I’Anson, the older
brother, apparently took over the farm at Hauxwell, and William moved to
Leyburn, in the parish of Wensley. His wife, Margaret, was daughter of Owen
Dent, of Leyburn, who died in 1639. An extract of his Will, in which the
said Margaret is mentioned, appears in a later chapter.
   WILLIAM I’ANSON died at the age of 55, and was buried at Wensley on 30th
June, 1659. His widow, Margaret, survived him thirty years, and died earlly
in the year 1689, an inventory of her goods being made by her son Henry on
7th February, 1689, in which she is described as "Margaret Janson, widow,
late of Layborne, in the parish of Wensley."
</quote>
http://www.ianson-international.org.uk/england/book-ch6.htm

By the way, there is also a Layham in Suffolk, England, between Colchester
and Ipswich, that may have this *_lag_ > _lay-_ in it (*"settlement at the
divide"?).