LL-L "Events" 2004.11.09 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 9 16:21:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Peter Snepvangers <snepvangers at optushome.com.au>
Subject: Events

Reinhard and lowlanders,
this is an article on the Australian Optusnet web site today under
international news. It is in my opinion poorly written and can convey a
negative impression on the meaning or values of saxon (sachsen). I hope they
put a disclaimer on the catalogue and the pamphlets explaining
sachsenhausen, new saxon state and old saxon history etc not supportive of
nazi concentration camps.
http://cable.optusnet.com.au/news/story/abc/20041109/18/international/1239516.inp

Exhibition shows concentration camp experiments
5:09 PM November 9

One of the first permanent exhibitions of its kind shows the medical
experiments carried out on thousands of detainees at the Sachsenhausen
concentration camp in World War II.

The exhibition, entitled Medicine and Crimes - The Hospital at the
Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp 1936-1945, shows around 1,000 items ranging
from medical instruments to photographs showing daily experiments in the
camp.

The organisers say the exhibition is the first on this subject in a former
camp.

Between 30,000 and 35,000 people were shot, hanged or died of starvation at
Sachsenhausen, which lies 35 kilometres from Berlin.

Several thousand are believed to have been killed because they were ill and
could not work or they were victims of the medical experiments.

One example featured in the exhibition was a series of around 20 experiments
on 11 Jewish children and teenagers transferred to the camp from Auschwitz
to test a hepatitis vaccine.

One of the group, Saul Oren, recalls the terror he felt as a 14-year-old
human guinea pig.

"Every day, we trembled in fear at the sight of the SS guards. We were sure
they would kill us at the end of the experiment just because we had
witnessed what had happened," he said.

Three thousand detainees were freed from the camp hospital when
Sachsenhausen was liberated by the Red Army in February 1945.

The exhibition, housed in two restored barracks, also shows the work of four
doctors from the SS.

Historian Astrid Ley says the doctors were "either careerists, anti-Semites
or quite simply sadists".

- AFP

Source: AFP

Regards
Peter Snepvangers
snepvangers at optushome.com.au

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>

Thanks for sharing that, Peter.

Personally, I'm not all that concerned about _Sachsen_ (Saxon) appearing in
a name of a place that came to be infamous because a place of horrors used
to be located there.  I feel sorry for the people that live there now and
have that memory tarnish the name of their town.  Then again, they could
turn that around and make it into something positive, and they seem to be
doing that.

It's also a bit unfortunate for people who live in another Sachsenhausen, a
part of Frankfurt on Main, a historic quarter across the river from
downtown, and, in my opinion, the only nice place in Frankfurt.
('Schulligung, Frankfottäs!)  Perhaps that's one of the reasons that
Frankfurters like to refer to their Sachsenhausen as "Dribbdebach" ("Across
the brook," as opposed to "Hibbdebach" ("This side of the brook") for the
other part.  (I'm not sure about the spelling.)  I've been told that this
place, being outside the (real) Saxon-speaking area, started out as a
settlement of Saxon immigrants.  The Sachsenhausen connected with the
concentration camp is situated in Brandenburg.  I think it's just inside the
Saxon-speaking area.  Or is it just south of it (which would explain the
name)?