LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.11 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 12 00:46:08 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.NOV.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.11 (03) [E]

You're right, the Low Saxon language knows a lot of varieties.
But I think the Northern German dialects of Niedersachsen has, or at least
had, by far the most speakers and the widest territory where is is spoken.
It's a rather homogenic variety, too, does not differ so much over a large
territory, maybe as big as the whole Netherlands.
The Dutch Low Saxon dialects are quite different from eachother and spoken
by less people, each in small parts of the North Eastern provinces.
The Westphalian varieties are not so typical, and speakers of Eastern Low
Saxon (roughly ex-DDR) will have no trouble with the Nord Niedersachsisch.
Anyway, since Low Saxon is officially recognized as a real language, there
has to be made a choice in this kind of cases when some standard of
it is asked for.
I would choose for ANS because other spellings are either too German or too
Dutch, and not easily understood by everybody.
And ANS would reflect pronunciation a lot more accurate, because it was
specially designed for Low Saxon...
That doesn't mean I would use it for my own variety of Dutch Low Saxon, but
that's only because of linguistical reasons...

Good gaon! Ingmar Roerdinkholder