LL-L "Communities" 2004.11.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 15 15:15:35 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Ramapough Mountain People

Dear all,

I'm just back from a fascinating conference in New Paltz, New York, with
two questions for you all.  To keep them nicely separate, as is
preferred here:

First question: one speaker introduced me to the Ramapough (or Ramapo)
Mountain People, who were or are sometimes called 'The Jackson Whites'.
I've done a little web searching, but most of the references seem to be
to their ethnicity, medical histories, and, occasionally, language.  It
is, I think, a LowLands language (being partially derived, like the
people themselves, from the Dutch who colonised the Nieuw Nederlandt
(New York and New Jersey).

As always, I'm more interested in the material culture, particularly
buildings, than the linguistics.  Is anyone here working on this area?

With best wishes to all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Ramapo mountain people (again)

Dear All,

In further searching for references to the material culture of the
Ramapo Mountain People, I find posts from Marco Evenhuis here a couple
of years back, which explore their linguistic and ethnic heritage.
Thanks Marco!

Also found much more on psychiatry, medical history and folklore of
these people .... but nothing on material culture (yet).

One thing I've found is that a couple of people have reported that they
met people who have self-identified as being "a Jackson White", rather
than "Ramapo mountain person", which is, I gather, the current polite
and respectful term.  There is a parallel here to the English usage of
"Traveller" (polite generic term) and "Gypsy", which is used by some
people in self-identification, but I would hesitate to use it as a broad
classification, because of its past racist use.

With best wishes to all,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   "It might look a bit messy now,

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Contiental Considerations

Dear All,

Second question (more an observation than a question) from the Nieuw
Nederlandt to New York conference: several speakers were suggesting that
the Hudson Valley settlers were actively resisiting becoming American -
not that they were Loyalist (i.e. for the colonies remaining British).
The speakers and attendees seemed to take it for granted that 'becoming
American' was implicitly a good thing (or at least a neutral thing).

I started wondering about the not completely dissimilar situation in
South Africa, where the process of 'becoming African' is viewed very
differently to 'becoming American'.

I'd welcome other's comments on this!

Best wishes,

Pat