LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.15 (02) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 15 15:15:43 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2004.11.14 (04) [E]

Ingmar schreev:

> At least there is a Dutch Etymologisch Dialectwoordenboek, I think by
>  Weijnen but I'm not sure of that. It's not only for Low Saxon but
> for all Dutch and Flemish dialects. I saw it today in the public
> library of Arnhem again. I borrowed it once but didn't find it very
> interesting to read myself, to be honest.

Wuruemme was et nit interessant dan? Wat mankeren der an?
Why was it not interesting?

As y et nog maol seyt, kön y my dan seggen wat et is precys?
If you see it again, can you tell me what it is exactly?

En daet Saksische (etymologische) wöyrdebook... Daet muet der ooit wal
van kommen, nit? ;)

Ron schreev:

> German etymological dictionaries, such as the _Herkunftsduden_,
> usually give explanations about Lowlands Saxon (Low German) words
> that entered German (and there are many).

En den Herkunfstuden is wat ik muet kopen dan? Ik kan der nit op ut gaon
en elk Duytsch wöyrdebook kopen den ik tegen komme, ik sitte gloynig
krap by kas en daet bliv nog wal eaven so ok.

And the Herkunftsduden is one I should get then? I can't just go and get
any German dictionary I come across, I'm damn short on cash currently,
and I'll be so for a while.

> I encourage you to do some of your own research by means of old
> languages German dictionaries, of which online versions (German, with
>  some English reverse versions) are now being developed by the very
> prolific Gerhard Köbler in Innsbruck, Austria, who deserves a prize
> or two for his community service:

Onmuendig bedankt vuyr dey links Ron, dey bint myters!
Thanks a bundle for the links Ron, those are great!

> *_Indogermanisch_ ... What the ...?!  I know it's still common, but
> when will they ever quit this nonsense?  I suspect this one slipped
> by the terminology laundry a few decades ago.

As y et verbetterd krygt, korrigeert dan ok eaven "Nedder-Saksisch"...
Oh ja, ik magge daet wat y gebrukt, "Leegland Saksisch" völle better.

When you get it corrected, please correct "Low Saxon" too... ;)
By the way, I like the term you use, "Lowlands Saxon", much better.

> Isn't there a nifty Van Dale dictionary on CD?

Löp et ok op Linux dan? Nee... Vort der met dan.
Does it run on Linux? No... 'nough said...

Gary schreev:

> A few Etymology dictionaries for the lowlands region that I have:

Thanks for your suggestions Gary, I'll keep them in mind!
(I suppose you don't understand Saxon, so I'm not going to bother and
write it, unless you care, alright?)

> Contact languages: German: dtv Etymologisches Wörterbuch des
> Deutschen. Thorough - lots more information than in a lot of
> etymologies, but again largely ignores Frisian, but always gives Old
>  Saxon and Middle Low Saxon examples when they exist.

Especially this one, I don't care if it ignores Frisian (no offense, I
want to learn Frisian too in time).

> Kluge Etymologisches Wörterbuch der Deutschen Sprache. I've heard
> lots of people slagging this off, but I like it personally.

Why do they "slag it off"? Why do you like it despite that?

> Also I don't think that modern Frisian or modern Low Saxon etymology
> dictionaries exist - I've never come across one, and being the sad
> sort of person that I am who collects dictionaries I think I would
> have heard of them if they did exist...

Give it time Gary, it may just happen yet :)

good gaon,
Henry

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

(I'm a member),
I found two more interesting, though very old books, available there.

*Wörterbuch der ostfriesischen Sprache: etymologisch bearbeitet; J ten
Doornkaat Koolman & Herm. Braams, 1879.

*Etymologisch handwoordenboek der Nederduitsche taal, of proeve van een
geregeld overzigt van de afstamming der
Nederduitsche woorden; JL Terwen/Van Goor, 1844 (!)

The first is about Low Saxon etymologics, since Ostfriesisch is a variety of
Northern Low Saxon.
But it is possible the latter is not about what is called Nederduits(ch) =
Low German = Low Saxon today, but just about
Dutch, because the term Nederduitsch was also used for Dutch in former
centuries.

So Henry, maybe it's a good advice for you -and others too- to get the
membership of a university library, the nearest for you will
be in Amsterdam I think, but Leiden may be more interesting because of its
renowned linguistic faculty. Depending on where I lived,
I've always borrowed books from Universities in Eindhoven, Tilburg, Utrecht
and Nijmegen. There is so much specific information
available, and you can read as many books as you like that you won't find at
any stores, or are extremely expensive or hard to get.
Ca forrit! Ingmar

----------

From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Resources

> Isn't there a nifty Van Dale dictionary on CD?
>
> Kumpelmenten,
> Reinhard/Ron

Yes, there is, but that's the regular "Dikke" Van Dale. Comes in two
versions on CD, one for regular users and one for more academic users which
allows you a lot more search functions.

Grietje Menger
Scotland