LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.15 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 15 15:15:59 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Hondshoven 2 <roger.hondshoven at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.11.13 (05) [D/E/LS]

Hi Ingmar,

In Flemish  (though I'm not sure about West- and East-Flemish - provinces
West- en Oost-Vlaanderen) 'tonen' is equally a very formal word. The normal
expression in the vernacular is, just like in the Netherlands -as you
stated - , 'laten zien'. In East-Brabant the word 'tonen' exists but then in
a different meaning: "schijnen, lijken"  (seem, appear). It is pronounced
['tyëne] , the y representing the closed rounded front vowel like in French
'nu, vu'. The vowel is the result of umlaut of the Old Germanic au, which
presupposes the presence of i or j in the following syllable. This is
corroborated by the Gothic form at-augjan.
For those who are looking for a Dutch etymological dictionary I could
recommend Van Dale Etymologisch Woordenboek. There is also the old but
excellent Etymologisch Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal by Franck-Van
Wijk. I am not sure it is still in supply.

Regards,

Roger Hondshoven