LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.15 (09) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Nov 15 22:42:44 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.NOV.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Folks,

Let me remind you, and announce to our newcomers, that we are trying to put
together a 10th anniversary online presentation of the Lowlands Saxon (Low
German) folktale _De Tuunkrüper_ ("The Wren") in as many Lowlands languages
varieties as possible, with sound recordings.

Thanks to those of you who have already contributed or promised written and
spoken versions.  Please keep them coming!

The "raw" material can be found here:
http://www.sassisch.net/rhahn/low-saxon/ls-story.html

The anniversary edition will be and look much nicer, thanks to Mathieu van
Woerkom.

We are not only looking for what to you may seem like rare or even exotic
varieties.  Please remember that what to you seems ordinary may seem exotic
to others, and vice versa.  Besides, we do need versions in varieties that
are considered "standard."  We have one spoken English version that I would
categorize as Standard American.  (Thanks!  It's really nice-sounding.)
However, as you know, "standard" comes in ranges, so additional versions
would be most welcome.  This goes for standard Standard English of other
countries and regions also, of course also of standard varieties of other
languages, if there are such varieties.  Definitely, we ought to have a
version each in Standard Dutch of the Netherlands and Belgium.  It would be
nice to have locally colored standard versions as well, in addition to
versions in the various regional languages and dialects.  Having available
this sort of range, with various overlaps, is not only interesting to the
average person, but it is also a great resource for "serious" research.  So
this would most definitely be a valuable contribution.

We could also do with a Standard German version, spoken in as "neutral" a
variety as possible, to juxtapose it with my Missingsch German version.  I
would also like to see the addition of another, non-Missingsch, German
version with distinct Northern color.  These three, in conjunction with the
Lowlands Saxon versions, would demonstrate stages of linguistic
Germanization in Northern Germany.  I am told that my German pronunciation,
though somewhat neutralized by back-home standards, is distinctly Northern.
(At least people from Bavaria and Austria think so.)  I cannot judge it as
well as I can judge other people's "accents."  This is why I don't trust it,
fear that something foreign may have slipped in (given that I learned
Standard German as a third variety and have lived outside Europe for more
than half of my life so far), and I would much rather have other people do
the "neutral" and Northern versions.  Will anyone oblige?

If you base your recordings on any given versions, please feel free to
change the wording to make it as natural to your varieties as possible.  It
would be great if you gave us the changed wording in writing as well.

Please send written versions to Mathieu (mathieu at brabants.org) and me
(sassisch at yahoo.com).  Send recorded versions and sound-file-related
questions and messages to Henry Pijffers (henry.pijffers at saxnot.com).  You
may also send in cassette recordings if you are more comfortable with that.
Please get in touch with Henry, and he will make arrangements with you.

So far we have not been inundated with submissions of anniversary "blurbs."
What we have in mind is putting together short (1-3 paragraph) written
pieces of Lowlands-L members (= subscribers) telling us what their
experiences and impressions with Lowlands-L have been, especially what they
have been getting out of it.  If they come with pictures of the authors, all
the better, but that's not mandatory.  It's fine if you mention "negative"
things along with the "positive" ones, as long as you put them into
perspective, telling us how you manage to deal with things.  Also, you do
not have to be one of the "veterans" to write such a piece.  Your input
would be welcome even if you joined us just yesterday.  After all, first
impressions can be important.  Readers will get an idea of what it is like
to be on the List at various stages, and they will get an idea about our
history as well.  You may write these messages in any language you choose.
If you write in English, Dutch or German as a foreign language, you may
expect help.  Please also provide, along with your name, your general
location (town/city, area, country).  Please send such texts, including
drafts, and copies of your pictures, to Mathieu (mathieu at brabants.org) and
me (sassisch at yahoo.com).

So keep them coming, folks!

Regards and thanks,