LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.17 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 17 20:38:53 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 17.NOV.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ed Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
Subject: LL-L "Anniversary" 2004.11.15 (09) [E]

At 02:42 PM 11/15/04 -0800, Ron wrote:

  Let me remind you, and announce to our newcomers, that we are trying to
put
  together a 10th anniversary online presentation of the Lowlands Saxon (Low
  German) folktale _De Tuunkrüper_ ("The Wren") in as many Lowlands
languages
  varieties as possible, with sound recordings.
Here's a revision into Canadian English.  I've yet to find some way to
record this, since otherwise you will miss the Canadian raising, and that
garage is pronounced grage, etc., but will come up with something
eventually.

The Wren

    The wren used to have his nest in the garage. One time, the parents had
both flown out - looking for something for the fledglings to eat - and had
left them there all alone.

    After a while, Father Wren returned back home.

    “What’s happened here?” he asked. “Who got you all riled up like this,
eh?  You’re all scared witless!”

    “Oh, Dad,” they said, “some big monster just came by.  He was really
awful and scarey! He looked right into the nest with his big eyes and we got
really scared!”

    “Is that right?” Father Wren asked, “where did he go?”

    “Well,” they said, “he went off over there.”

    “Just wait here!” Father Wren said, “I’m going to go after him.  Don’t
you worry about a thing, children. I’m going to get him.”  And with that he
flew off after him.

    When he came around the next corner, he saw a lion walking along there.

    But the wren was not afraid. He landed on the lion’s back and started
chewing him out. “What business do you have coming to my house,” he said,
“and terrifying my children, eh?!  You’re really offside, you know.”

    The lion ignored him completely and kept on going.

    But now the little wren was really pissed. “You have no business being
there, I tell you! And if you come back,” he said, “well, then you’ll see! I
don’t really want to do it,” he said and finally lifted one of his legs,
“but I’ll break your back with my leg in a second!”

    And with that he flew back to the nest.

    “There you go, children,” he said, “I’ve taught that old lion a lesson
he’ll never forget.  It’s not likely we’ll see much of his kind anymore,
 eh?”

Ed Alexander, Hamlton, Ontairyo

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Anniversary

Thank you so much, Ed!  You deserve today's gold star.

I'll post it onto my site, while Mathieu will post it to the new site, and
Henry will wait for the sound recording.

Thanks again, Ed!

Hey, folks in and from Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Southern Africa and
other countries! How about *your* English (or whatever) versions?