LL-L "History" 2004.11.19 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Nov 20 04:48:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.NOV.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: History

I wrote:

> Lots of cities are still called "Hanseatic," some because of historical
> pride, others (that had resented it in the past) because it draws in
> tourist
> money (e.g., Bergen and Gdańsk/Danzig).
>
> I wonder if there is a complete list of these cities.

I found one and will post it at the end of this.

Before that ...

The Hanseatic League and Other Continental Lowlanders in Scotland

Walsey and Out Skerries, Shetland:
<quote> http://visit.travelscotland.co.uk/Guide/orkney/orkney_25.htm
South of Voe, the B9071 branches east to Laxo, the ferry terminal for the
island of Whalsay, one of Shetland's most prosperous small islands owing to
its thriving fishing industry, which helps support a population of around
1,000. The fleet is based at Symbister, the island's main settlement. Beside
the harbour at Symbister is the Pier House, a restored böd which was used by
the Hanseatic League, a commercial association of German merchants who
traded in Shetland from the Middle Ages to the early 18th century. Inside is
an exhibition explaining the history of the Hanseatic trade, and general
information on the island.
</quote>

<quote> http://www.adapt.ecotec.co.uk/regions/scotland/chap1p3.htm
After his victory at the Battle of Stirling Bridge in 1297, William Wallace,
of Braveheart fame, and his companion, Andrew Murray, as Guardians of the
Realm, wrote to the merchants of the Hanseatic League (an early free trade
association), declaring Scotland's ports open to them. Later, in 1668, the
apprenticeship terms of one Andrew Russell, of the merchant guild of
Stirling, specified that his master instruct him in all the arts of commerce
"as weel without as within the country", send him overseas on at least three
occasions and put him in a Dutch school to learn Dutch and arithmetic.
</quote>

</quote> http://www.electricscotland.com/history/germany/commerce.htm
THE commercial intercourse of Scotland with Germany dates almost, if not
quite, as far back as that with Flanders, where already in the commencement
of the XIIlth Century a Scotch Settlement at Bruges was known under the name
of "Scottendyk." The oldest document relative to Scotch-German trade is the
famous letter of William Wallace, the national Hero and champion of his
country’s liberty, which was discovered in 1829 by the German Scholar and
Antiquarian Dr. Lappenberg among the archives of the Free City of Lubeck,
the renowned chief of the Hanseatic league. It bears the date of 1297 and
runs as follows: "Andrew Moray and William Wallace, leaders of the Scotch
army, and the commonwealth of the same kingdom send to the prudent and
discreet men, our good friends, the Senate and the commoners of Lubeck and
of Hamburg greeting and a continuous increase of sincere affection. We have
been informed by trustworthy merchants of the said kingdom of Scotland, that
you on your own behalf have been friendly and helpful in counsel and deed in
all things and enterprises concerning us and our merchants, though our own
merits did not occasion this. We are therefore the more beholden to you, and
wishing to prove our gratitude in a worthy manner we ask you to make it
known among your merchants that they can now have a safe access with their
merchandize to all harbours of the Kingdom of Scotland, because the Kingdom
of Scotland has, thanks be to God, by war been recovered from the power of
the English. Farewell. Given at Hadsington (Haddington) in Scotland on the
eleventh day of October in the Year of Grace one thousand two hundred and
ninety seven."
   "We also pray you to be good enough to further the business of John
Burnet and John Frere, our merchants, just as you might wish that we should
further the business of your merchants. Farewell. Given as above."
</quote>

Does anyone have access to the original version?

Former Hanseatic Cities:
   Anklam
   Bergen
   Bolsward