LL-L "Phonology" 2004.11.23 (07) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 23 21:22:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.NOV.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Henry Pijffers <henry.pijffers at saxnot.com>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.11.23 (03) [E/LS]

Ingmar schreev:

>>Jao, daet is korrekt, in swart (met /z/ aoverigens) en hart(e) is der
>>geynen r te höyren.

> s?
Jao, daor bin ik wal seker van, [zvat]. Kan weasen dat anderen daor
[svat] van maakt höyr.

Jao, [zvIl], [zvetn], etc., mear [slaN@], [slaG@], etc.

Duydelikheid muet der weasen! Nit dan?

Ron schreev:

> Henry wrote ("Language varieties"):
>
>>Yes, thoese words are without -r. But an r is often inserted if the next
>>word starts with a vowel.
>
> It sounds like your dialect has "liason" then, like English, something not
> very common in Lowlands Saxon (Low German).

It has what? You mean the insertion of the r instead of glottal stops is
called liason?

> I wrote ("Language varieties") about "overlength":
>
>> bruud [bru(:)t] 'bride'
>> bruyd' [bry:.d] (< bruyde) 'brides'
>
> In the case of /d/ in overlength, it is dropped in quite a few dialects,
> thus:
>
> bruud [bru(:)t] 'bride'
> bruyd' [bry:.] (< bruyde) 'brides'  (often spelled <bru>, <bruu>, <brö>,
>     <Brüü>, <Brü>, etc.)
>
> However, the /d/ is changed to /j/ or is deleted even in some dialects
that
> have preserved the _-e_; thus:
>
> bruud [bru(:)t] 'bride'
> bruyde [bry:(j)e] 'brides' (often spelled <brue>, <bröe>, <Brüe>, etc.)
>
> Likewise:
> luyd' ~ luyde [bry:(j)e] 'people', 'folks'
>    (often spelled <bru>, <bruu>, <brö>, <Brüü>, <Brü>, <brue>, <bröe>,
>    <Brüe>, etc.)

I think you mean more like <lue> or <leu>, right? ;)
Yeah, that's how it is here. Twents is such an -e preserving dialect,
and deletes the /d/.

Henry

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Henry (above):

> > It sounds like your dialect has "liason" then, like English, something
not
> > very common in Lowlands Saxon (Low German).
> >
> It has what? You mean the insertion of the r instead of glottal stops is
> called liason?

Yes and no.

In phonology, "liaison," based on the well-known French phenomenon (which
probably affected English), is when any final consonantly becomes the
initial consonant of the following word.  In English you get it for instance
in "never_again," but you don't get it for instance in "bat ears" (while in
French it may involve a final /t/ what in isolation would not be pronounced,
as in _petit_ [p(@)'ti] 'little' -> _petit_ami_ [p(@)%tita"mi] 'little
friend'.

English is a mixed system (and many American English varieties use liaison
less that English Standard English) probably because English does have a
glottal stop before a word supposedly beginning with a vowel.  I suspect the
same thing to apply in your dialect.  French and virtually all other Romance
languages do not use glottal stops, which faciliates liaison.  Liaison does
not apply in German and in more easterly Low Saxon dialects because glottal
stops are mandatory (which is why such varieties sound "choppy").

But, strictly speaking, "insertion of the r instead of glottal stops" is not
quite the accurate way of putting it.  In mixed systems like English and
your variety it seems to be a more complex process, probably one of rule
order (liaison applying *before* glottal stop insertion).  In the case of
German, on the other hand, you might go as far as stating that glottal stops
are phonemic and that this language does not have initial vowels, as in the
case of Semitic languages, for instance.