LL-L "Culture" 2004.11.23 (13) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 23 23:32:45 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.NOV.2004 (13) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Transliteration" 2004.11.26 (01) [E]

Ron wrote:
"Do not overestimate the intentions of calligraphers at tourist traps
(or at calligraphy booths at fairs outside China). This is business, and
those folks usually don't give a rat's behind if the name they give you
makes sense, is semantically unfortunate or whatever. Once you're out of
there you're out of their minds."

I do not know how prevalent this trend is elsewhere in the world, but there
has been a craze in Ireland and Britain among young people for tattoos
featuring Chinese and Japanese characters. These fashion victims then parade
around proudly stating that the indelible scarring they now have says their
name, or a motto, or some such other good luck charm "in Chinese /
Japanese". My answer is always the same: "I didn't know you could speak,
read or write Chinese / Japanese."

The faith people have in their own ignorance astounds me!

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Transliteration

Hi, Críostóir!

I, too, used to think like that about that sort of tattoos.  Luckily I am
currently in the process of rapid mellowing, just sometimes smile to myself
imagining these "kids" as middle-aged members of the establishment looking
down on the traces of their youthful follies on their wrinkled, flabby
bodies.  But don't most generations come to regret stuff?  Scarring from
tattoos, earlobe stretching, ampallangs, apadravyas, Prince Alberts and
other sorts of mutilation may be nothing compared with the sort of cerebral
scarring many middle-aged folks are now running around with as a result of
their ("brain-frying") follies in the 1960s and 1970s.

Your remarks do bring up an interesting question: "Is it ethical to use
symbols of other cultures for one's own purposes (where you are running the
risk of being disrespectful to the holders of those symbols and cultures)?"
It may be legal to do so.  But is it *ethical*, advisable?

When it comes to using East Asian scripts as decoration, I normally don't
care.  I've gotten many a laugh out of seeing folks with mirror-image and
upside-down Chinese characters, even parts of Chinese business contracts or
cooking recipes, printed on their closing or tattooed on their bodies.  What
bothers me a bit is the "tribal" movement in "body art," which also tends to
integrate East Asian characters (because they are considered "decorative
chicken-scratches") along with "primitive" elements (especially in the
"Modern Primitive" movement that usually includes various types of
mutilation).  I am not passing value judgement on their treatment of their
bodies, even where only fashion-based aping is involved rather than the
original "political" motivation (counter-cultures with points to make).  Nor
have I ever objected to any non-violent counter-culture.  (On the contrary;
it gives me hope.)  I just find this "tribal" thing somewhat objectionable
because it seems to indirectly mock cultures that are considered exotic,
primitive and, in the great scheme of things, irrelevant.

I have seen people run around with Celtic symbols tattooed on them,
including people of non-Celtic background who just find them pretty.  How do
you feel about that?