LL-L "Phonology" 2004.11.24 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 24 19:21:49 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.11.23 (14) [E]

> Ron wrote:

> In some dialects, the word _bed_ [bEt] is pluralized as _bedden_ ['bEd=n].
> Interestingly, "flapping" / "tapping" has come to apply to the plural form
> and then been treated as an /r/: _berren_ [bE.3n], and this has affected
the
> singular form in some: _ber_ [bE.3].

find _berre_ ["bEr@] = bed.
If this is an old development, r in Lowlands Saxon _ber_ would not be
derived from the plural form
but be just natural ber < berre. I think that  _ber_  exist too in our area,
in dialects that do have schwa deletion
 Ingmar