LL-L "Icons" 2004.11.24 (08) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Nov 24 21:11:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 24.NOV.2004 (08) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Culture" 2004.11.24 (03) [E]

Sandy wrote:
"I'm inclined to think that it's nonsense to say that people "have
non-Celtic background" - who's to say, especially considering the surprising
amount of cultural mixing in the past that DNA analyses have revealed?"

Ron replied:
"You're absolutely right, Sandy. Thanks. It was a stupid thing to say (and
temporarily think) of me."

I don't think it's stupid. I would expect people of a Celtic culture (quite
different to people of a Celtic background) to be more likely to have Celtic
tattoos, or people of a Norse culture to have Norse tattoos, as links
between themselves and the cultures of which they feel a part. I have no
problem with anyone having an interest in other cultures and choosing to
make that interest permanent in a well-considered, proper way. But I do not
think that people who mindlessly adopt Norse / Celtic / Samoan mish-mashes
because it's fashionable (or because they perceive that it is fashionable)
are demonstrating any such interest, let alone any respect for the cultures
they are pillaging.

Tattoos and the like being personal choices, unfortunately (or perhaps
thankfully, depending on your viewpoint), there is nothing anyone on this
list can do about such misappropriation. We are arguing against the wind.

Go raibh maith agaibh,

Criostóir.