LL-L "Places" 2004.11.25 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 25 15:40:13 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: yasuji <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp>
Subject: LL-L "Names" 2004.11.24 (04) [E]

Hallo, Mr. Pyt Berg
Thia is not a book, but I think the undermentioned HP is a very nice
one, which introduces the city of Koenigsberg in old time and today.
It is written in german.

http://www.koenigsberg-preussen.de/koenigsberg/

If you search on computer, perhaps you will be able to find more
adequate materials.

Regards,

Yasuji Waki,
from Japan

----------

From: ezinsser at icon.co.za <ezinsser at icon.co.za>
Subject: LL-L "Places" 2004.11.24 (05) [E]

Hi all,

Heinrich Becker's description of urban Kaliningrad sounds almost like a
description of
downtown Johannesburg, South Africa.

The inner city is bursting out of its seams and there are already fears that
electricity
and water services will deteriorate more with the uncontrolled influx of
people and
especially illegal immigrants.

Although there are glimpses of municipal upgrading with throughfares being
closed off to
traffic and paved for pedestrian walk-thoughs, the general ambience is that
of dirt,
informal business (including prostitution), vagrancy and street children.
While driving
down Rissik street one will encounter signs of severe decay: The century-old
post office
is boarded up for fear of bits falling off on pedestrians, superb old
Victorian buildings
are cemented in to halt further destruction by illegal occupants and water
features have
been stopped to prevent water usage for drinking and washing.

Outside of the inner city is of course a different story.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

> starving and prostitution and hundrets of discharged children, who > flee
> from their
drunken parents. It sounds cynically: If you want to