LL-L "Icons" 2004.11.25 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Nov 25 17:13:51 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Icons" 2004.11.25 (04) [E]

Elsie wrote:
> I recently read Miriam Toews' _A Complicated Kindness_ and have again
> wondered why it is
> that certain societies/milieus evoke in their children the need to carve
or
> hammer-in an
> alternative identity? Is it alienation of the self, or a basic
> rebelliousness against an
> oppressive society?

I think it has to do with overpopulation and the desperate need of insecure
young people to stand out somehow, to emphasize their very own unique
personal individuality (redundances intended), ironically in a way that is
accepted by their peers and still makes them look like everybody else within
their group...

...or maybe it's rather the opposite, trying to look just like somebody who
appears to be popular within the target group ("gee, Britney Spears has her
navel pierced, so if I do the same, everyone will love me and I'll become a
filthy rich pop icon just like her"). Which must greatly annoy those who got
their tattoos or piercings for the former reason.

Or, probably more like it, the brain isn't even involved... it's "the done
thing" and a symbol of belonging to the current youth culture. Again, a sign
of great insecurity.

Also, it may be a strong message to overbearing parents stating, "My body -
and my life - belongs to me, not you, and there is nothing you can do about
it."

Gabriele Kahn
(blessed with three daughters who wouldn't dream of it)