LL-L "Icons" 2004.11.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Nov 26 10:58:12 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 26.NOV.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

Onderwerp: Icons
Van: Larry Granberg <nibwit at yahoo.com>

Hi all,

At times this thread has been amusing, insulting, or patronizing depending
on your point of view.
As being one of those unfortunates having a tattoo (for almost thirty four
years now), I have to agree with a lot of the points stated. Some have no
idea, or do not care, or are following the crowd. However some do put
thought into it, and for others it is a deeply personal statement, as it
was for myself.
My thoughts are that it's time to get onto other subjects.

Thanks,
Larry Granberg

----------------

Van: "Elsie Zinsser" <ezinsser at icon.co.za>

Hi all,

Gabrielle, I'm glad to hear that you share my thoughts on young people
being insecure
rather than self-accepting as a reason for piercings and the like.

I agree with most you are saying but, hey, my parents were overbearing and
neither I nor my 5 siblings have any such stuff. I think that my two
daughters would also agree that I am pretty much of a busy body myself and
they never thought it necessary to have tattoos to fit in!

There must be something else.

Regards,
Elsie Zinsser

Gabrielle said: "I think it has to do with overpopulation and the

-----------------------

Van: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Sandy wrote:
"In my experience quite a number of young people in England know Japanese
very well."

I don't think so. Not in my experience at any rate. The English being
notoriously unwilling to learn foreign languages, Japanese comes even
further down the list than the pitiful numbers who know French, German,
Spanish, Italian (all taught as subjects at school to varying degrees).
Those are taught languages rather than home languages - there are many
more speakers of Panjabi, Hindi / Urdu, Bengali, Mandarin, Cantonese and
the like.

Yet I have never encountered an English person who can speak Japanese,
although I've met two or three Australians who can.

Perhaps you live in an area where a local tec offers a diploma in
Japanese, or one of your local universities does, or the English Japanese
speakers in question are of Japanese background.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

-------------------------

Van: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>

Elsie Zinsser wrote:
"I have again wondered why it is that certain societies / milieus evoke in
their children the need to carve or hammer-in an alternative identity? Is
it alienation of the self, or a basic rebelliousness against an oppressive
society?"

Every new generation rebels. Every new generation views the society in
which it finds its alienating and relatively oppressive. I do not believe
though that young people who tattoo themselves with symbols they know
nothing about are trying to construct alternative identities... it seems
to be more to do with ill-thought out fashion trends that are slavishly
followed. In trying to be different, they conform.

Linguistically we see this when the younger generation of minority
language speakers shift to the "dominant" language (such as from Irish to
English in the Gaeltacht here) as a form of rebelliousness.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.