LL-L "Proverbs" 2004.11.30 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Nov 30 16:07:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.NOV.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From:  klaus schmirler <KSchmir at online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Proverbs" 2004.11.29 (01) [E]

> From: Dave Singleton <davidsin at pt.lu>
> Subject: LL-L "Proverbs" 2004.11.28 (07) [E]
>
>> Onderwerp: Proverbs
>> Van: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>

>> 3.  An empty stomach makes the kail [soup] excellent.
>
> Is this really soup ?? I know kail as cabbage (even in Yorkshire) or is
> it cabbage soup?

Which reminds me of the doubts I had when I read this -- plus the following:

If kail is something other than cabbage, is there a possible gypsy
influence? I'm still looking for contemporary 14-year-olds who use this,
but in my circles and at that age we said "kahlen" for eating (Stuttgart
region). Spelled in English, "cawler". This is supposed to be "jenisch,"
the language of traveling hawkers, and is practically identical to "kol"
(my made-up spelling) for "food" in some Indian languages.

But perhaps Sandy only meant to clarify that the cabbage is prepared as
a soup?

klaus