LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.30 (10) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 1 00:07:02 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.SEP.2004 (10) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Andy (Scots-Online) <andy at scots-online.org>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.09.29 (14) [E]

Ian wrote:

> To be a little controversial, it is in fact usually dangerous for minority
> language activists - certainly those representing languages all but
> extinct - to seek a place for that language within the structures of
formal
> government at the expense of its genuine day-to-day social use. Swiss
German
> is the ultimate example of doing the latter but not the former.

I feel that for lesser used languages starting from the top with 'official
translations' probably does more harm that good especially when the versions
presented come accross as contrived and are often unintelligible to native
speakers - although wide-spread 'illiteracy' in the lesser used language may
play a part here cf. the use of Scots in Ulster.

Swiss german is an interesting case. My experiance is that there is no
stigma attached to speaking Zwiss German in all contexts. Even if the
written language is 'standard German'. What really impresses me is the use
of Swiss german on the TV Station 3Sat. This is a public service station
with contributions from Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Pollitical
disucussion by Swiss Polititicians etc. are usually always in Swiss German
and German subtitles are provided. One Presenter switches between standard
German and Swiss if it was the most natural thing in the world - so it
should be.

>Catalan and
> Welsh are perhaps successful examples of doing both (although both always
> remained in strong social use in large areas even before their respective
> revivals).

Recently Eilidh Bateman Presented the results of her 'on site' investigation
of the Catalan Situation and what scots my learn from it to the Scots
Language Society. Unfortunately I arrived near the end of her presentation
and can't say much about it. Though this is due to be published in the
future.

>However, is it really a good idea for Low Saxon, or Scots, or
> Limburgish, to seek a position in formal (often government) translations
or
> as part of parliamentary proceedings before they have regained sufficient
> ground in general social use? Such calls run the risk of turning an
> otherwise disinterested general public *against* a language movement -
never
> a good idea in a democracy, no matter what the value of that movement's
> cause.

Exactly. Bottom up. Build up use and ranges of uses and respect for such.

> Indeed, the reason Esperanto succeeded more than other ALs was nothing to
do
> with its structure or ease of us, but rather precisely that its supporters
> realized the need for a critical mass of social users. They didn't quite
> make it, of course, but that's a subject for another list.
>
> For us, my point is that the battle between moves towards a single
> administrative international language (i.e. English) and towards support
for
> the development of the use of regional languages need not be mutually
> exclusive.

Emphasis on Bilingualism or bidialectialism should be to the fore. Breaking
down the traditional assumption that humans can somehow only cope with one
language. The spread of English as a lingua franca clearly shows what a
nonsense such attitudes are.

Andy Eagle