LL-L "Phonology" 2004.09.30 (12) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 1 00:07:06 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 30.SEP.2004 (12) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Stella en Henno <stellahenno at hetnet.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.09.30 (01) [E]

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Pronunciation
>
> Re that famous Frisian phrase "bûter, brea en griene tsiis". It's
similarity
> to "butter, bread and green cheese" is supposed to indicate the closeness
of
> Modern English and Frisian.
>
> According to my Frisian language course, "bûter" is pronounced as it might
> be in the North of England;
> "brea" like "bray-e" with the second part of the diphthong short; "griene"
> like "gree-e-ne" with the second element of the diphthong unemphatic;
> "tsiis" as with a German initial "z".

brea is pronounced more like bri+e (where bri sounds as in Brit) and a
similar sounding second part of the diphthong as in griene.

> On this basis the two phrases are very different. Can anyone throw any
light
> on this conundrum?

There are a few things: the Frisian (ie West Frisian) sounds probably more
like the English would have sounded like in Chaucer's day, and this phrase
has been used for a long time (certainly a few centuries). eg the -r is
still rolled and there is still inflection in "griene". Also Frisian has
changed a bit: eg. tsiis used to be "tsjiis" (spelled tsjiez in Gysbert
Japickx' days), where the j- has disappeared before the long i-sound (as it
has in "jier" which is pronounced "ier" [i. at r], "year"). This tsj- sounds
more like the ch-fricative in modern English. I suppose that butter sounded
more like [but at r] in earlier English (while Dutch had boter (or butter /
botter in many dialects)), and that the Northern pronounciation reflects
this.

The main reason I think this is cited, is the common changes it reflects,
and that were not shared by non-Ingvaeonic dialects: grien < [gre:n] <
*[grö:ne] < *[gro:n + i] where the word had an umlaut causing -i that caused
the long o: to front. This was derounded in both Old Frisian and Old
English. and after that they even shared the further fronting (in the GVS in
English and Frisian) of [e:] to [i:], which moved them further away from
Dutch (which has no umlaut here, "groen"), German ("grün") and Low Saxon
(greun, gruun, gruin are the variants that I know of).
Another common innovation was the fronting of a: to e: (or keeping of old
e_1) in words like sheep (skiep), year (jier), hair (hier), but also in old
loans like cheese/tsiis. Moreover, both varieties palatalised k to tsj/ch-
before those fronted vowels, contrary to Dutch (kaas), German (Käse) and Low
Saxon (kees, keis or somesuch form). So this phrase also contains this
common innovation. Also both varieties have had a similar fronting of the
monophtongisation of Germanic "au" (as in "bread", and Frisian "brea" (<
bra:(d)), but this is more the result of a common tendency to front and
diphthongise. Also preserving the [u]-sound in earlier English (as it has in
Frisian) might have helped this phrase. In all, it's a lot closer to English
in its shared tendencies and innovations than it is to eg Dutch (boter,
brood en groene kaas), which helped to emphasize Frisian distinctness vs
Dutch.

Henno