LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.03 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sun Oct 3 19:11:10 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 03.OCT.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.02 (01) [E]

> From: john feather <johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk>
> Subject: Phonology
>  But if we compare them with Dutch we get
> gaan/staan/brood/dood/hooi/ooit/nooit - three different sounds. In
> English,
> using the contracted forms of "ever" and "never", we get 5 sounds
> (go//stand//bread/dead//hay//e'er/ne'er). How could any orthographic
> convention smooth over these differences?
> John Feather CS johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

Dag John,
Wanting to put everything down into an
official/scientifical/generalistical...kind of study is a very
difficult task that will never be accurate. Languages can evolve rather
rapidly. I refer here to the changes in the pronounciations of the
North-Dutch.  Also: When i look into the examples you mentione (gaan,
staan, brood, dood, hooi, ooit, nooit) my remark is that the
pronounciations in Flanders differ every ten kilometers! This is
something that is very difficult to keep up with.  I work in Izegem, 5
kilometers from where i live (Roeselare), and already people hear
differences (perhaps not heard by outsiders). So when anybody
says/writes that a certain pronounciation is Flemish/Dutch, which
region or tongue is she/he thinking of ??

Oekense Vlamse groetjes,
Oe'ense  Vlamske groetjes,
Oekense Vlaamse groetjes,

luc vanbrabant
oekene - oe'ne -
Er zijn evenveel gedachten of geirnaorts poôten (E: there are as meany
thaughts as schrimps paws)
I should change this proverb into
Er zijn evenveel uutspraoken of geirnaorts poôten
(E...pronounciations...)