LL-L "Image" 2004.10.04 (04) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 4 19:43:46 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 04.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Global Moose Translations <globalmoose at t-online.de>
Subject: LL-L "Image" 2004.10.03 (11) [E]

John wrote:
> I attempted to cut the debate short but Gabriele
> would not take the hint. The point which I wanted to avoid saying is that
it
> is highly insensitive for a German even to _appear_ to be suggesting that
> s/he should be the arbiter of what references may be made to the Nazi
past.
> The "only 10-12 years" remark seemed to me particularly gauche.

Like most people on this list, I object to any racial, ethnical or cultural
bias, no matter where it comes from and against what person or group it is
directed, and I firmly believe that it has no place here (or anywhere else,
for that matter). Neither the reference to Nazi terminology nor the notion
of "civilizing" a continent was originally yours, and yet you made a point
of supporting them, even suggesting that the centuries-long holocaust of the
Native Americans was probably a good thing, since they were such horrible,
cruel people anyway. THAT hint I could take, and those are not issues I can
or ever shall (ha, shall!) remain silent on. Not even when told to "shut up,
or I will say even worse things".

Actually, there is one arbiter on this board, namely Reinhard, who gets to
decide what is posted and what isn't. The rest of us still have the right to
object to what is being said, especially whein it is said about others who
are not part of this forum and therefore cannot defend themselves. And, when
someone indicates that they find some of the contents hurtful and offensive,
the usual reaction is something along the lines of "I'm sorry, this didn't
sound quite right".

Let me assure you, although my Jewish husband has been living in Germany for
more than five years now, feels very much at home here and likes both the
country and the people... it is not like I have ever forgotten that,
sixty-five years ago, we would have found ourselves in the middle of a mob
in the marketplace, with shaved heads, and that would have been the last I'd
ever have seen of him. As I said before: this is simply no joking matter.

Gabriele Kahn