LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.05 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 5 17:42:20 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 05.OCT.2004 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Language varieties" [E]

> From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.03 (14) [E]
>
> Funny you should say that, Gary, in Dutch sign language (which
incidentally
> has 5 dialects, based on the 5 boarding schools for deaf children), the
sign
> for "Amsterdam" is crossing your index fingers three times (one tapping
the
> other) going downward. This is akin to the pilons(?) you find everywhere
in
> Amsterdam which have the three crosses sign on and that comes from the
City
> heraldy.

This is a bit hard for me to pronounce as crossed fingers aren't really used
in BSL (the one exception is the sign for 'hope' - which could be thought of
as just as much a gesture as a sign - it's one of those words which refuses
to accept any inflections).

Still, I'm always interested in being able to sign the names of towns, so I
wonder if you could describe the hand orientation in this sign, ie which way
do the fingers point? Thanks!

> I've heard tell that "foreigners" sign "Amsterdam" as emptying a syringe
in
> the crook of your arm. Don't need to explain that one, I reckon.

This sort of thing is dying out in BSL, mostly to be replaced by whatever
sign is used in the foreign sign language for something from their culture.
So the Chinese are no longer slitty-eyed, instead the Chinese Sign Language
sign for 'Chinese' is used in BSL. However, researchers questioned a group
of Chinese deaf people on whether they found the "slitty-eyed' sign
offensive. The Chinese said no, especially considering that their sign for
"Westerner" was "round-eyed"  :)

BSL signs where the foreign sign is now normally used in place of the
original BSL sign are Russia, China, Japan, Finland, Estonia, Ireland, Spain
(I think), Australia, Dublin, New York &c. Others, such as America, Denmark,
Norway and Sweden seem to have been in use from long before political
correctness was a consideration.

"Germany" is a strange case. The German Sign Language (DSL) sign for it
indicates a hat with a spike. This has also been used as the BSL sign for
"Germany" since long before political correctness was such an issue. Now
that we're more politically correct, BSLers have started to simply sign "G"
for "Germany", because they're worried that the spikey hat might somehow be
unacceptable! I hope I'm right in thinking that this is more of a
classroom/examination board sign than something native signers would use.

The BSL sign for "Jewish" indicates a beard. British Jews have found this
unacceptable because it excludes Jewish women. So the sign is gradually
being replaced by a sign indicating a menorah, but in my experience not many
people are acquainted with this at the moment.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/