LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.06 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 6 15:25:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.OCT.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Thomas <t.mcrae at uq.net.au>
Subject: LANGUAGE VARIETIES

In my part of Scotland bread was known as "Bried". There were two main
staple varieties Plain had a crust top and bottom with lovely soft bread
betwixt that us kids would pull out and eat while taking it home. The other
"Pan" had an overall crust, for years I thought it had something to do wuth
J.M. Barry until I realised it referred to the container in which it was
baked. The baking dishes for both types were big enough for two batches of
dough to be inserted side by side so a very large loaf was the end result.
This was easily prised apart at the bakers' outlets and we always asked for
"A Half Loaf". (How about your area Sandy ?).
I got confused, as did the shopkeeper, in Darlington, England, when I asked
for a half loaf. She answered 'Sorry we only sell whole ones.'. Regional
variations can be confusing but they're fun and they can spread too. While
in Ghana I asked our mechanic "Have you got a funnel ?". "Pleasah ?" "A
funnel" "Pleasah ?" "Lawrence I want a funnel F_U_N_N_E_L !" Enlightenment
came and his fce lit up "Ah yessah you want a foonel". Some northern
Englishman had obviously laid the foundations for vehicle maintenance in
Ghana as most mechanics referred to them thus.
Regards
Tom
Tom Mc Rae PSOC
Brisbane Australia
"The masonnis suld mak housis stark and rude,
To keep the pepill frome the stormes strang,
And he that fals, the craft it gois all wrang."

----------

From: John Duckworth <jcduckworth2003 at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: Vocabulary?

Hello, fellow Lowlanders!

We have a word in the north of England, _summat_ meaning 'something', that
is very commonly used.It seems to be quite widespread and I am sure (someone
will probably jump in here to confirm or deny this) that I have heard it as
far north as Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and as far south as Chester. The thing is,
I always presumed that this was a feature of "northern" speech, but I am
sure I have heard it lately in London speech (where I would have expected a
form such as [saming], sorry for the bad phonetics); am I fooling myself, or
is this true? And is it an innovation in those areas, or has it existed for
years?

Also, do any other Lowlanders know of similar forms in other varieties of
English?

John Duckworth
Preston, UK