LL-L "Genealogy" 2004.10.06 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 6 15:25:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 06.OCT.2004 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Genealogy" 2004.10.03 (01) [E]

LL-L Genealogy
>>From Bill Wigham
Dear Mr. Bergman

     I appreciate your interest in your last name.  I too have been trying
to find out more about mine.  What I have learned about names is that they
really can be difficult to trace.  Ancestors had no concern over our needs
to connect with them.  Life could have been hard, dangerous and confused.  I
would bet that your primary Bergman ancestor was either a miner or a
mountaineer.  He could have been a German, a Sweed or Norwegian.  I can only
suggest you get your DNA checked out to give you a true assessment of your
origins.  More and more work is being done in this area.  For Example.  They
recently found a DNA link between some ancient burials in southern Russia
(that seemed to be those of a tribe they think was the source of the Amazon
story) and a young blond and blue eyed Kazak girl in Siberia.  You probably
will never get an answer that will be fully satisfactory, but what the heck,
no matter how you slice it or dice it the name Bergman is pretty neat, and a
lot nicer than Djugashvili.

Cheers,
Bill Wigham
Westfield,Massachusetts Bay