LL-L "Language politics" 2004.10.08 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 8 22:35:03 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 08.OCT.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Críostóir Ó Ciardha <paada_please at yahoo.co.uk>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.10.08 (04) [E]

Tom Maguire wrote:
"Fowler and others' contributions to The Oxford dictionary may be
perceived as a "standard" reference in written British English, whereas
Webster's could be the ready reference in American English. Do
Australians and New Zealanders recognise the first and Canadians look
towards the second?"

I cannot and would not wish to speak for Canadians and New Zealanders, but
Australians have their own standard reference for Australian English - the
eminent Macquarie Dictionary. It is usually the only dictionary you will
find in Australian schools, workplaces and homes - in the same way you are
unlikely to find a Macquarie or Websters on British bookshelves. It is right
it should be so in my opinion, even though I do not necessarily agree will
all of Macquarie's standard selections (e.g., what I perceive as American
English _program_ instead of _programme_).

Tom also wrote:
"Again the BBC is for some the reference for pronunciation in British
English - a sort of "phonetic standard", often standing side by side
with received pronunciation."

There is some controversy about this in Australia. The Australian
Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) plays the same role as the BBC does in
Britain, and has a rule book of spoken standards. For this it is often
criticised as Anglophile ("closet pom") or unnecessarily formal. I would
imagine the CBC and TVNZ receive the same criticisms in Canada and New
Zealand / Aotearoa.

Go raibh maith agat,

Criostóir.

--------