LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.09 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 9 18:12:29 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Language varieties" [E]

> From: Grietje MENGER <grietje at menger.fsnet.co.uk>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.05 (04) [E]
>
> The easiest way (as I'm not good in signlinguistics) is to go to this site
> http://www.effathaguyot.nl/index.php?sid=79
> and choose Amsterdam.

Thanks Grietje - very clear drawings, and the sign can be produced easily
enough with BSL "chiremes" after all!

I was intrigued by the sign for "Australia", which is the same as the BSL
sign but a different finger is flicked off the thumb (we use the middle
finger for this: thumb-to-tip-of-ring-finger isn't a feature of BSL).

This is also the Auslan sign for "Australia", borrowed into BSL to replace
the old sign, which signified a hat with the brim turned up on one side.
People often think this Auslan sign indicates a jumping kangaroo, but
someone I know has been informed by Australian signers that it signifies
criminals being picked up and dumped in Australia during the days of
deportation. Another internationally "correct" sign that would, like
"Germany" worry us if more of us knew what it signified! Actually, sometimes
BSLers argue that although the Germans use that sign (the hat with the
spike - what are these hats actually called?), it wouldn't be politically
correct for _us_ to use it, and it just occurred to me that the Australian
sign is a good counterexample for this argument.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/

From: jpkrause <jpkrause at sunflower.com>
Subject: Language Varieties

OK, ekj habe irjenwaut  jeütlotet.  Waut's de Unjascheet tweschen
Nedersasisch/Plautdietsch un Meddelsproakj?  Ekj vestone Meddelsproak
afents so goot aus Plautdietsch.

Jim Krause