LL-L "Language politics" 2004.10.09 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Sat Oct 9 18:12:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ruth & Mark Dreyer <mrdreyer at lantic.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.10.08 (04) [E]

Hi, Tom & All

Subject: Standard Language & Language Standards.

> The reference to "standard" in language is sometimes mentioned as a
> ready reckoner or benchmark for use or misuse.

I don't know, but my reading indicates that the French Acadamy has no
significant control over the French Language of French speakers, for all
it's efforts; consider 'le weekend, le picnic, le parking &c.' & an index of
prohibited terms is not a reliable indicator of inception into the language.
The same must inevitably apply to all 'Language Academies' with a
prescriptive brief.

The best that can be done is to record & annotate by date the inception of a
word as & when (& where) it comes into use, as the OED does. It is an
on-going process, as language is a dynamic process.

This gives a picture, if it can be retrieved, of the English Language in any
given dialect-group at any given period: Useful information.

The best the 'Standards Academy' approach can do is to dictate to us what we
'should' be saying, while we ignore it. At neither end of this transaction
can any useful work be done, or even any useful information be derived.

Vivat OED!

Yrs,
Mark

----------

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Language politics" 2004.10.08 (05) [E]

>>From  Uilleam Òg mhic Sheumais <goidel.glas at gmail.com>

>French isn't so clear cut. Yes, you have l'Académie française, but
>there is in Québec also l'Office québécoise de la langue française.
>Using them both you can get pretty "pure" French =). E.g., in Québec
>they say "On parque dans le stationnement" for "I park in the parking
>lot" but in France they say "On gare dans le parking". If you combine
>them, you can get "On gare dans le stationnement" and it's very much a
>French phrase.

Hello All,

It is true that I had completely forgotten the Quebec reference. The
pronunciation of French there and much of the vocabulary is markedly
different from the (Northern France) French standard. Does this mean
there is another standard there?  I have met several French Canadians in
France. I was very surprised at one woman who restricted her
conversation because she said she didn't have a French accent.

The reference to "pure" French really hits the nail on the head. Having
lived in several countries I have stopped believing in the lingustic
"purity" I imagined there existed when a learner of the languages. Maybe
"standard" is useful for learners but it quickly develops into notions
of superior and inferior.

I concede that this thread is not strictly about Lowlands languages but
languages in general. For me it ties in with what may be the Lallands
dialect's future quandry of  whether to create a standard or not. The
problem of language standard seems to me to be that if you create a
standard then it is a reference for 'outsiders' but you will surely
trample on the toes of some 'insiders' who, invariably, will differ from
the standard, particulary in pronunciation. Another problem is the one
mentioned by Bill Wigham who rightly points out the uselesness of a
legal bulwark against a tidal wave of incoming words, accompanied by
their culture.

Regards,

Tom

--