LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.11 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 11 16:51:38 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Uilleam Ã’g mhic Sheumais <goidel.glas at gmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.10 (06) [E]

Ron wrote:
> So there seems to be a close
> relationship between 'tree' and 'oak' in Eurasia.

That would make a lot of sense - oak had a very special place in Celtic
mythology and culture.   I suppose that "dru-" is cognate with Sanskrit and
the rest - not related to the Slavic. Interesting
nonetheless.

Beannachdan,
Uilleam Og mhic Sheumais

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Etymology

> oak had a very special place in Celtic mythology and culture

In Germanic mythology also, Uilleam.  An oak-tree holds up Yggdrasil, the
"heaven," and oak-leafs are among the most common heraldic symbols.

Mar sin leibh an drà sda!

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

Hi Uilleam
I don't know what dru- etc means exactly, oak or just tree?
But in the latter case dru and tree seem more related to each other -and
Scandinavian træ/träd = tree
than to Slavonic de~b/da~b = oak. Polish drzewo = tree however could be from
the same root as dru/tree.
(Ingmar)

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

Oops, for the second time I discovered that what I wrote here below was
already said by Ron farther down before...
I'm not very much of a good reader huh since I didn't scroll far down
enough again. Impatience and/or lack of time,
I guess (Ingmar)