LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.11 (02) [A/E/S/German]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 11 17:01:36 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 11.OCT.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.10 (04) [A/E/German/Yiddish]

Baie goed gemaak Mark! Ek vra my nou af: het julle ook eikebome soos in
Europa in Suid-Afrika, of gebruik Afrikaans daardie naam vir 'n andere boom?
Jou idee van alle taal-versies op een blad is handig, eintlik kan ek dat
natuurlik ook doen.
Maar wie weet sal daar nog meer dialekte of tale kom dus moet wy  beter nog
wag 'n oonblikkie... (Ingmar)

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

Franz, vielen dank, eine sehr schöne Uebersetzung!
Selbst bin ich noch eine ziemlich junge Eiche  (35 Jahre) aber viellicht
hab' ich schon eine alte Seele?

The Mülheim Platt reminds me of the dialect in the region where I live now,
locally called Kleverlands, officially Zuid-Gelders (NL).
I wouldn't call it Limburgish, because THE characteristic features of Limb.
are words like   'ich', 'mich', 'och' and 'ouch' for
'ik', 'mij', 'ou', 'ook' and I don't see those in Franz' "Lienteike".
(Ingmar)

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

Moi Reinhard, a correction (not for the list) of my message below:
viellicht has to be vielleicht of course, and ...locally called
Kleverlands... should be
... locally called Kleefs...
Goodgaon, Ingmar

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Literature

Hi, Ingmar!

> Kleverlands... should be
> ... locally called Kleefs...

That would be "Cleves dialect" in English.

Below is a revision of my English translation followed by a rough Scots
draft (hoping to stimulate critique/correction > perfection ...)

***

   SCARS

   the scars collected in my life
   are only marks of my existence
   carved deeply in my soul

   as with the old and tall oak-tree
   a name scratched in by some young hand
   grew upwards with the trunk

   this is how those old wounds of mine
   taken along through year and day
   have kept me company

   reading the markings now I know
   the carver is long dead and gone
   upright still the tree

          [Ingmar Roerdinkholder – transl.: R. F. Hahn]

***

   WAUMS

   the waums A'v gotten in ma life
   are nocht bit merkins o ma bein
   cairved deep intae ma saul

   as wi the auld an heich aik-tree
   a name a young hand's scartit in
   his growed up wi the shank

   is hoo thae scrats A've gotten ance
   that's come awa throu year an day
   hiv been ma guid compaignens

   readin the merkins noo A ken
   the cairver's deid an gane lang syne
   the tree's aye staundin stuir

          [Ingmar Roerdinkholder – owersettin: R. F. Hahn]