LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.12 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 12 23:25:24 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 12.OCT.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Bill Wigham <redbilly2 at earthlink.net>
Subject: LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.12 (01) [E]

LL-L Phonology
From: Bill Wigham

Hi Roger & Liste,
             Roger Hondshoven has neatly clarified (below) a problem created
when
two authors on the same subject, Dutch pronunciation, seemed to disregarded
each other completely.
Thanks Roger for your explanation!  We just do not have any Dutch folks
around this area to practice with
so Its off to Barnes and Noble for the next step.

             That business about them dropping out the -e- and
transmogrifying the -n- into an -m- as you demonstrated with -loop'm-
reminds me of the way some people from Essen will say the word -haben- as if
it were -hamm-, as in, Wir hamm das schon geseh'n.

             Just to fill you in, one whole side of the family was Dutch as
I guess I mentioned much earlier.  I have always had a great deal of
curiosity about them.  Evidently half were for the King and the other half
were Rebels
during our Revolution... it was not a political thing but rather a
generational-gap problem where the jonkers went one way and the older folks
went the other.  One Jan Speer was the sexton of the Reformed Church in
Belleville NJ and ran a ferry across the Passaic River.  A Tory tried to
steal his ferry to get over to the British & Hessian Army on the other side
in 1776 so Jan shot him from the belfry of the church.  Durn good shooting
at that range.

Thanks again,
Bill
redbilly2 at earthlink.net