LL-L "Language varieties" 2004.10.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 13 16:01:55 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2004.10.12 (02) [E]

Hallo, active forum!
I joined last week and have been amazed at the number of messages
crisscrossing. I have read them all with interest ... even if my limited
knowledge of lowland languages needs help from a 40 year old memory of OHG
and some Saxon!!! But then that is why I joined.

I belong to a local Heritage group here near Worcester, UK : we have been
tracing our parish boundaries using the extant Saxon charters. We are
trying to compare 3 translations and are bemused by the different
interpretations.

I am also intruigued by the fact that many of our place names are
interpreted by West Saxon and yet apparently the Mercians took over the
area shortly after the West Saxons penetrated as far as the Severn.

I have as an aim to try and learn what might have differentiated Mercian
English from West Saxon.............. and any help and advice would be
gratefully received.

Was the Mercian Anglian language Friesian????
How would have Friesian at that time differed from Saxon?

Are there any clear cut pointers or is it all too much of a mish mash to
say anything definite?

Yours in anticipation of a deluge!

Heather Rendall

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net>
Subject: Language varieties

Hello, Heather!

Welcome to Lowlands-L and its active forum!  It's great to meet you and to
get a sense of your enthusiasm.  Thanks for taking the plunge.

By the way, the rest of your posting submission will be found under
"Folklore."  (One of the rules -- yeah, sorry, there *are* rules -- is to
keep topics separate.  You, other newbies and anyone who needs a refresher
(and there are a few among you supposedly old hands) ought to take a look at
our rules and guidelines:

Dutch: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regels
English: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules
German: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln-de
Limburgish: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regele
Lowlands Saxon (Low German): http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=regeln
Russian: http://www.lowlands-l.net/index.php?page=rules-ru

Here's my question:

When you say you know a little Saxon, am I right assuming you mean Old
English/Anglo-Saxon or the predominantly Saxon dialects thereof?

I am asking this because there is also Old Saxon, the Saxon language once
used on the European continent, in what are now Northern Germany and the
Eastern Netherlands.  It's the ancestor of what we call either "(Modern)
Low(lands) Saxon" or (regrettably) "Low German."  This Saxon in its various
manifestations over time is a part of our area of interest as well.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for to you sharing your questions and
knowledge with us.

Friendly regards,