LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.13 (09) [E/French]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Wed Oct 13 23:05:34 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.OCT.2004 (09) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.08 (04) [E/French]

From: Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com <Liesbethvlaomse at aol.com>

>Subject: LL-L "Lexicon" 2004.10.06 (02) [E]
>
>In a message dated 6/10/04 18:23:09 Romance Daylight Time,
>lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net writes:
>
>In my part of Scotland bread was known as "Bried".
>
>Il y a quelques j'ai vu sur la tv un programme s'appelle The story of
>English avec l'animateur canadien ou américain David McNiel.  Pendant un
>épisode on a interviewé deux soldat du « Garde Noir (Black Watch) ».  Ces
>soldats disaient comment en leur langage ( dialect ) local on dirait « Ah'm
>a-gwine doon th' road a piece ( pr. pé ss ) » tae th' stoor ( pr. st eu
rr )
>tae get me sum bried ».  Ils disaient qu'ils ont changer leur accent
>parceque ses camarades se les moquent par on appelle « teuchter ».
>         Qu'est-ce que signifie ce mot ?
>
>           What does « Teuchter » mean ?

Hello Liesbeth,

I was at boarding school in Aberdeen, Scotland,  - many years ago - and
"teuchter" to us meant  a local in the derogatory sense of 'peasant'.
Not very uplifting, but that is adolescent language, isn't it?

Regards,

Tom

--
Carpe Diem.
-Visit Nlp in Education  http://www.xtec.es/~jmaguire
-Join Nlp-Education  mailto:nlp-education-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

----------

> Il y a quelques j'ai vu sur la tv un programme s'appelle The story of
> English avec l'animateur canadien ou américain David McNiel.  Pendant un
> épisode on a interviewé deux soldat du « Garde Noir (Black Watch) ».  Ces
> soldats disaient comment en leur langage ( dialect ) local on dirait «
Ah'm
> a-gwine doon th' road a piece ( pr. pé ss ) » tae th' stoor ( pr. st eu
rr )
> tae get me sum bried ».  Ils disaient qu'ils ont changer leur accent
> parceque ses camarades se les moquent par on appelle « teuchter ».
>          Qu'est-ce que signifie ce mot ?
>
>          What does « Teuchter » mean ?

"[ˈtjuxtər] A term of disparagement or contempt used in Central Scotland for
a Highlander, esp. one speaking Gaelic, or anyone from the North, an
uncouth, countrified person."

http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?query=teuchter&sset=1&fset=20&printset=20&searchtype

Andy