LL-L "Phonology" 2004.10.14 (05) [D/E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 14 17:04:11 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.OCT.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Gary Taylor <gary_taylor_98 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Phonology

Hi all

Didn't read the original, was away for a while and so
ended up skipping a number of messages, but have just
read:
"Denis asked: "Is there any other Germanic language
where L changes in to (vocalised) W?""

So here goes, English dialects where it's vocalised:
Historically in certain words - noticeably when preceded by 'a' and followed
by 'k' thus 'walk' and
'talk', but other examples include 'palm', 'balm'.
London area (expanding quickly to include large areas of the southeast and
beyond).
Lots of areas in America - studies have been made in Philadelphia and
apparently the l-vocalisations are also spreading quite quickly.
Australian dialects - studies have been made into Sydney English.
In these the l is being vocalised non-prevocalically in all positions.

Historically in Scots thus 'fa'' etc for 'fall', 'fou' for 'full'. Only
happened after back vowels (a/o/u)

Dutch west coast dialects (of course historically the l-vocalisation is an
important distinction between Dutch dialects and other Low-Germanic dialects
giving 'zout' for 'salt' - like Scots, didn't happen in all positions,
limited to the back vowels and also only when followed by a consonant.)

Low-Saxon dialects - can't be more precise due to limited literature on the
subject, but this has been discussed on this list before.

Certain central German dialects ranging from Luxembourg to Saxony.

Upper German dialects in Switzerland, mainly around the Luzern region. The l
is vocalised in all
non-initial positions, including between two vowels, when doubled.

In Bavarian dialects after a vowel it's turned into a 'j' (y for English
speakers) giving 'soiz' instead of 'salz'. This is also the case in certain
Low-Saxon dialects, again I can't be more precise.

Outside the Germanic area it's occurred historically in French (cf.
difference between 'bel' and 'beau', Serbo/Croat/Bosnian 'Beograd' instead
of 'Belgrad', dialects and Polish (pronunciation of l with a line through
it) to name a few, it's also underway in Czech.

Hope this has answered your question

Gary