LL-L "Science" 2004.10.14 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Thu Oct 14 17:06:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 14.OCT.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: heather rendall <HeatherRendall at compuserve.com>
Subject: LL-L "Science" 2004.10.13 (10) [E]

Message text written by INTERNET:lowlands-l at LOWLANDS-L.NET

>Sorry, this is in German only - I couldn't find an English version of
these
>findings:<

It appears in today's  (14th Oct )Nature p757
Structural Plasticity in the bilingual brain.

In essence it is proving for langauge what neuroscience has been proving
for all thoughts/actions -  activity dependent brain changes. i.e. if you
use a single skill more than usual, your brain cells increase in order to
'control' . The same happens for new skills; they have to be stored
somewhere, so the brain creates an area for it = more grey matter.

Heather

----------

From: yasuji <yasuji at amber.plala.or.jp>
Subject: LL-L "Science" 2004.10.08 (05) [E]

Hallo Friend,
Bilingualism is maybe much attractive for Japanese people, since we are
known as we
Japanese cannot use any any foreign language, such as English, even we learn
it 6 years.

So, some mothers of babies would like to grow up their babies as bilinguals,
and send them to English classes for little children from the time they
cannot speak even Japanese (their
possible mother tongue=Muttersprache). I find such a trend a little strange,
because their mother can not speak English as well as English native
speakers or don't speak at all at home. Maybe it is not possible to gro
biliguals in such a situation.

When I was a student and studying German Literature, I met a student. He
spoke German very well, and also Japanese, too. He told me that his mother
was from Vienna (Wienerin)
and his father was a Japanese (Professor). When he was a child, he lived in
China and spoke German at home with his mother. So, when he came  to Japan
after WW II, he could speak German much better than Japanese. He told also
that when I would change from Japanese to German, at first he should change
his brain and say in heart "Now I will speak German, not Japanese" and he
should do the same to change "from Japanese to German". I bilieve that he
was a bilingual of German and Japanese. But I don't know what would happen
realy in his brain wheh he will change from German to Japanese or from
Japanese to German.  Have any one of you ever had  such experience?
Regards,
Yasuji Waki,