LL-L "Science" 2004.10.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 15 16:50:37 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.2004 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Science" [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Science
>
> I myself once lived and worked in an environment in which I switched
between
> four languages (German, English, Hebrew and Yiddish) on a constant basis.
> It was hard at first, but with practice it ceased to be a problem.  As Tom
> said, all it took was a quick look at a person and the correct switch
would
> happen.  It even worked when someone else interrupted and another
temporary
> switch was needed.  I hear similar stories from and about people in the
> northern part of Schleswig-Holstein where some people can converse in up
> five modes (German, Lowlands Saxon (Low German), Frisian, Southern Jutish
> and Danish).  I am sure that many people on this list have similar stories
> to tell.

How about dreaming in languages? I always find that if I dream about someone
I know I always speak to them in their own language, whether Scots, English,
Czech, Welsh, French or BSL.

When I'm just dabbling in a language I might sometimes dream that I'm
speaking to someone who speaks that language, but the whole exchange is
restricted to either phrases I know in the language or a sort of gibberish
representing the language.

These days, having gone profoundly deaf, I rarely actually hear anything in
dreams any more. Occasionally someone speaks in a dream and I hear their
voice very clearly in the dream. This usually seems very scary and I can
wake up feeling as if I've had a nightmare!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/