LL-L "Etymology" 2004.10.15 (02) [E/S]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Fri Oct 15 16:50:48 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 15.OCT.2004 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org>
Subject: "Etymology" [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Since Scots does not seem to have this "problem," I don't know how
relevant
> this is to the etymology of _teuchter_.

My gut feeling about the word "teuchter" /'tSuxt at r/ is that _if_ it is
related to the word "teuch" then the "-ter" is a reduced form of the normal
English and Scots "-ster" ending as in "baxter", "prankster", "mobster" and
suchlike.

But I don't understand why "*teuchster" /'tSuxst at r/ would be reduced. I
certainly can't think of any examples of the "s" being dropped from other
words.

I've also never really thought of a "teuchter" as "teuch" in any way. More
often I associate the word with the sprightly old gentlemen down from the
Highlands (perhaps) who proudly walk the streets of Edinburgh in kilts and
green jackets.

I would suggest stepping back and looking for an overseas origin for the
word - from somewhere within in the reaches of the old British Empire.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org/