LL-L "Places" 2004.10.18 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 18 21:25:41 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.OCT.2004 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Roger Thijs, Euro-Support, Inc. <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Cultural contacts" 2004.10.18 (03) [E/Spanish]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Cultural contacts
> among the young
> people that go to get drunk (out of their minds) in Tijuana on weekend

> From: Brooks, Mark <mark.brooks at twc.state.tx.us>
> Subject: LL-L "Cultural contacts" 2004.10.17 (03) [E]
>   On
> the Mexican side it's cheap liquor, cheap food, and cheap trinkets.

Is my perception than so very wrong:
considering the number of businesses around Tijuana's main street, I had the
impression the primary focus of Ameruican visitors coming over there (in
daylight time) is:
- a - (pharmaceutical) drugs
- b - medicare (dentists etc.)?

Is Tijuana something particular, as e.g. a well known medical center, or is
this Mexican medical service for US citizen current practice all along the
border?
Thanks for your comments.
Regards,

Roger

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Places

Roger,

I don't think your impressions are "wrong."  The majority of Americans go
there for medicine, medical care, tourist trinkets, sex and alcohol.

What I was hinting at was that there is another Tijuana to be discovered by
the visitor adventurous enough to leave the beaten track, and I am convinced
that that is the real, basic Tijuana, not the tourist trap Tijuana people
like to make snide remarks about.  Once off the beaten track and making at
least a token effort to speak Spanish, you might discover very nice,
friendly people that will interact with you on a non-commercial basis.
Unfortunately, most tourists don't have or take the time for exploring and
are too timid to catch local buses and explore the various _pueblos_ outside
the city center.

I'm sure you have heard about Hamburg's infamous St. Pauli district (around
the street called Reeperbahn "Ropers' Alley").  If you have a day or less to
spend there, you might go there because it's something you have heard about.
You would come away from the city with totally skewed impressions.  Wrong?
No, just less broad and true than I would like them to be for you.

Many Danes go (at least used to go) on weekend tours to Hamburg to get as
drunk as they can possibly get, because liquor prices are so much lower than
back home.  Surely their mental picture of Hamburg is that of a watering
hole they've experienced in the fog of their drunken stupor.  And locals
that have never visited Denmark might have similarly limited pictures of
Danes: as drunks and as super-slow drivers.  Wrong?  No, just narrow.