LL-L "Language proficiency" 2004.10.18 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Mon Oct 18 21:25:50 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 18.OCT.2004 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Tom Maguire <jmaguire at pie.xtec.es>
Subject: LL-L "Language proficiency" 2004.10.18 (04) [E]

From: burgdal32admin <burgdal32 at pandora.be>

> Hi Tom,
> Living around several boarders, we had to learn some languages:
> Flemish to start with, Dutch at the age of tree, French at the age of
> ten,  at fourteen English, and at 15 German. It was all in the
> schoolsysteme  for pupils  untill  18 yaers of age. Later i managed to
> learn some Spanish.
> And i love it all!
> I definetly believe i am better off.
> At home we have all the official networks of televisionstations of the
> (surrounding) countries: U.K, The Netherlands, France, Germany, Spain,
> Italy, CNN,...(including our own networks). I am  very happy to be able
>  to see some aspects of the different cultures, ... In Flanders  people
> can go to the  theatres and see plays in
> Flemish/Dutch/English/French/sometimes German.  All films are in their
> original language. ...
> So yes, we know what's going on in the different countries. It didn't
> help me to be better off in my 'earnings', but i am more than pleased
> with our schoolsysteme that has made it possible to meet other cultures.
> When i discuss things with a Frenchman/Englishman/American... most of
> the time they do not know what lives/happens  in  the countries where
> people speak another language.
>
> Groetjes
> luc vanbrabant
> oekene

Hello Luc,

I'm sure you're right. the cultural  spin-off from knowing several
languages is certainly positive.

Regards,

Tom

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>
Subject: royal-ties

About the royal-ties

Swedens Queen Silvia doesn't have to be ashamed of her - I presume German -
accent, she 's in good company.
In the Netherlands both our beloved Queen Beatrix' husband the late Prince
Claus as her respected father Prince Bernhard
speak/spoke perfectly good upper class Dutch with a clear German accent.
Bernard has come to our Kingdom even before WW II but he always kept his own
way of pronouncing Dutch.
Maybe because so many husbands and wives of our Royal Family members were of
German descent, so
no one noticed this strange accent because it was so familiar to them, from
their parents etc?
The children of these Germans, like Queen Beatrix herself or her (and Pr
Claus') son Prince Willem-Alexander
speak Dutch without foreign accent. Willem Alexander is married to the very
popular Princess Maxima from Argentina
- who has of course a charming Latin American accent, as their baby daughter
Amalia won't have in the future, I'm sure.

BTW the Nobility in the Netherlands are said to have their own dialect: het
dialect van de Adel.
Adel = noble (pron.), edel = noble (adj.). The latter, edel ["e:id at l] is the
same word as Yiddish eydl that was discussed
a few weeks ago on the list.
But I assume this Noblemen's dialect was used more by Dukes, Earls and
Countrysquires in rural areas than by the Royal Family.
Our Queens and Princes(ses) speak a very elegant and refined form of Dutch.
Although the younger generazition of princes tend
a little to the vulgar pronunciation of _de Residentie_ The Hague, probably
just in a student-like way.

Well, and of course I would like to send the Middelsprake file to the
Drottning, but I need some advice and help of you guys first
how to go to work the right way here...

Mid de hertlig gröte af Ingmar
PS I put my hopes of fame are in the fridge!