LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.19 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net
Tue Oct 19 22:37:32 UTC 2004

L O W L A N D S - L * 19.OCT.2004 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
http://www.lowlands-l.net * lowlands-l at lowlands-l.net

From: Heinrich Becker <heinrich.becker at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Literature" 2004.10.19 (03) [D/E/LS]

>Reinhard, you think I could join this Freudenthal writing contest with my
> poems?
>
> Ingmar,

it's not a gag to change the topic to a less slippy one.  I'm so sad for
you, because I threw away the other day the local Soltau paper:' Böhme
Zeitung' with a feature of  Freudenthal-Preis 2004.
The local papers sometimes write more, than availible via internet. Let me
know off list, if you are interested to receive one.
As a child of Dutch border close to your hometown, Soltau currently is the
place, where I earn my money.
Gued goahn
Heinrich Becker

----------

From: Ingmar Roerdinkholder <ingmar.roerdinkholder at worldonline.nl>

>I (Ingmar) wrote this of course because this price winning Franz Bookmann
is... guess who? no one less than our own Reinhard F Hahn!!!

> I just read that a certain Franz Brookmann won the Freudenthal-Pries in
> 1999. I'm curious if he'll compete in 2005, because after 5 years he 's
> allowed to again > I'm curious about the prize winning lyrics from 1999
too. Maybe someone
> who's with this List knows where we can find them?    ;-}  Ingmar
>
> R. F. Hahn:
>> Dunno.  Perhaps the following year.
>
> > I'm curious about the prize winning lyrics from 1999 too. Maybe someone
> > who's with this List knows where we can find them?    ;-}  Ingmar
>
> It's to be found in the _Soltauer Schriften_ periodical and in an
anthology
> (Heinrich Kröger (Hrsg.), "Ick löw, ick bin en Stück von di ..." Ein
> niederdeutsches Lesebuch, Freudenthal-Preisträger/innen 1976-2001, 264 S.,
> geb., SU; Rostock: Hinstorff-Verlag, Herbst 2002, 30.50 CHF / 17.90 € ;
ISBN
> 3-356-00971-0)

> From: RF Hahn
>
> > There's no need to write in a different dialect just because someone
else
> was successful with it.  Write your own dialect, and be yourself!

dialect (Wenters) is more understandable for German Lower Saxons.
And I always feel a little guilty about writing in Drenthish, being from
Winterswijk myself... Stupid but true! When I showed my first poems to my
Wenters grandmother she just read the Drenthish as if it were Wenters. But I
felt ashamed then about it that my dialect was not hers. But I was
happy she liked them very much and even cried reading them aloud...

To be honest, many (and most of the best) Dutch Lower Saxon writers are
Wenters. And untill recently, the Official National Poet of the Netherlands
 _de Dichter des Vaderlands_ was Gerrit Komrij, from Winterswijk too. There
seems to be something in the nature -both the physical nature/landscape,
the nature of the people and the nature of the language- that is a good
breeding ground for writers and poets over there. Brag brag brag brag
brag...
I still have plans to write a Stephen King-like novel about this area, since
it's very fit for that kind of stories... ;>} Ingmar

> > And what spelling they should be in? I can imagine that the largely
Dutch
> based I use is confusing for German readers.
>
> You should write the way you usually do.  To make it easier you could
choose
> any of the following:
>
> * supply a German-based orthography version along with it
> * add a brief glossary of words that to people in Northern Germany are
difficult
> * add a German translation
> * or any combination of the above

it?
But the other suggestions are good too. Only my German is not perfect,
writing it I'm always afraid to make mistakes. (Ingmar)

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Literature

Ingmar:

> it?

Making a splash may be a good thing at one's debut, but it might be
advisable to keep down the "splashage" somewhat until you are on firmer
ground.  On the other hand, why not?  The ANS wouldn't seem stranger than
the Dutch-based systems.

Another possibility is to supply a transliteration into a German-based
system along with the original, plus a brief glossary if there are any
"outlandish" words or expressions.  This is were you ought to run your poems
by LS speakers in/from Germany and get them to tell you what is problematic.

> But the other suggestions are good too. Only my German is not perfect,
> writing it I'm always afraid to make mistakes. (Ingmar)

Well, you've come up in the world and are well connected now that you are on
Lowlands-L.  This is what they call "networking" and "collaboration."  It
means that you might be able to count on some help with any of the above if
you sufficiently suck up to certain people and are willing to reciprocate
sometime.

Kumpelmenten,